• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gs11gk
    • Sep 2009

Pearson 30: Help with Throttle Cable/Bracket

Hello Everyone,

I installed the PCV kit this weekend and recognized that my throttle cable is mounted in an non traditional way. The cable loops to the front of the engine and installs on a bracket that's mounted on the front of the engine- using the engine bolt that is above the flame arrestor. The PCV kit interferes with this throttle arrangement. So frustrating because I could see the finish line!

My boat is a 1974 Pearson 30, with a tiller, and throttle lever on the port side. I see Moyer has a replacement bracket that seems to mount on the back of the engine. Does anyone have an idea why my boat has the throttle cable mounted in this way? My guess would be that a previous owner had a cable that was too long and this routing allowed him to use that cable.

My main question is would I be best off buying the Moyer bracket and a replacement throttle cable. I haven't had an opportunity to measure the distances so I don't know how long a cable I need. I probably won't be able to get back to the boat until this weekend so I was hoping someone may be able to help.

Best regards,

David

• May 2009

I have the Moyer bracket and it works fine. Can you post a picture? AFAIK running the cable from the front would make the throttle work backwards.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

The best strategy is to route the cable with as few bends as possible. The larger the bend radius the better too. If approaching the carb from the rear (trans) end achieves this, go for it. Watch for clearance from the exhaust too.

If changing this, you'll also have to flip the throttle lever cable attachment or your throttle will work the opposite of the way it used to.

Joe types faster than me.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• gs11gk
        • Sep 2009

Thanks guys. I figured that I would need to install the cable on the 'other' side of the pivot so that it didn't work backwards. I am assuming that's an option but I haven't been able to confirm that yet. Are most of these throttle levers built to be configured either way?

Do you think I should be able to use the Moyer throttle cable FCAR_07_375? Three feet doesn't seem very long but it is pretty tight quarters. As you said, the exhaust will be the main obstacle.

Thanks for the help.

David

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
          AFAIK running the cable from the front would make the throttle work backwards.
          Maybe the throttle does work backwards.
          David?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• gs11gk
            • Sep 2009

It doesn't work backwards as it currently sits. I push the lever towards the bow and the RPMs go up. Seems logical to me... Does everyone else's boat work differently: eek:

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Nov 2008

Your throttle is normal.
              Before you buy a new cable see if you can reroute the existing one. It's a good idea to have as long of a cable as practicable so the bends are kept as gentle as possible.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Loki9
                • Jul 2011

That's how they did the throttle cable on P30s. Mine was the same way. Tom at Indigo has an addition to his PVC kit just for P30s that moves it to clear the throttle cable. Give him a call.
                Jeff Taylor
                Baltic 38DP

Comment

• Mo
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2007

I have one P 30 that has the throttle come in from the stern...no loop.
                  If you need to make something up to go easily and "correctly" by all means do so. Just have to wonder who rigged it and what they were on.

P.S. My good friend is a General, loves his boat... I keep it running and he keeps the cooler full.
                  Mo

"Odyssey"
                  1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                  The optimist expects it to change.
                  The realist adjusts the sails.
                  ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• gs11gk
                    • Sep 2009

Thank Loki9! I wish you were here earlier today. Looks like I have an unnecessary bracket and throttle cable on the way. I'll call Tom about the P30 mod and see if I can return those parts back to MM.

Better late than never. I'm glad to not have to go into the recesses of the port side quarterberth/engine compartment.

Cheers,

David

Comment

• prstack7
                      • Aug 2011

Advantage to rear mounted cable

I have a '77 P30 with the throttle cable coming in from the rear. No loops and easily clears exhaust. You may want to change to this configuration simply because you will do away with the loop. As you say, you've already ordered the parts and you wouldn't get a refund on the shipping.

Comment

Working...
                      X