• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • number9
    Frequent Contributor
    • Oct 2008

Impeller Cover

I lost a screw that secures the cover of the impeller during the winterizing that I did last year on my 1969 Columbia 28 (Yep - I read the postings about putting cardboard down when working on the engine way too late). I have three questions: 1) Where can I get a replacement screw for the one that I lost? 2) Can the 5 screws suffice until I get the replacement screw? 3) Is there trick to securing the cover and gasket? In other words does the cover need to go on a certain way?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

-Dan
  • tenders
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

I don't know what the thread count is on those screws but you would probably be happy upgrading to Don's knurled thumbscrews for the water pump, which have "keepers" in them so they don't fall out, and don't require a screwdriver to tighten or untighten.

It'll probably leak without all the screws.

Comment

• rheaton
      • Aug 2005

I read here that the water pump gasket could be attached to the pump housing with the aviation sealer. Don’t seal the gasket to the cover. I read the same could be done with the gasket for the thermostat.

Best of Luck,
      Russ

Comment

• number9
        Frequent Contributor
        • Oct 2008

Thank you both very much for your advice. It is much appreciated.

Comment

• gregt
          • Aug 2007

Number of screws?

I just noticed in your post you said you had 5 screws left (a total of 6 with the lost one?). If so, you don't have the Oberdorfer pump as that has 4 screws on the cover plate. If there are 6 screws, you likely have a Jabsco pump. The screws are different for the two brands. You can likely get them from a marine supplier as Jabsco is a very common pump brand.

Comment

Working...
          X