X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gilbert landin
    • Nov 2005

reversing gear assembly

I started my overhaul project because salt water had gotten into the motor and after a period of inactivity the #1 &2 cylinders were frozen. I coordinated w/ken and my machine shop guy and ordered in all my parts. I also got the oil seals, which when I started this project had no idea where they went. Now I finally have all my pieces and am trying to figure where all the gaskets go and have found the old oil seals. I would like to replace them since the engine is out, but I could not remove the big nut on the end of the shaft. Is it possible to release the shaft from the inside so I can change the rear seal? Since the original problem had nothing to do with the tranny I am reluctant to mess with it.
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Gilbert,

We'll have to leave the final decision to replace the rear seal (or not) in your hands, but if you do decide to remove the output coupling, you can hold the coupling with an 18" pipe wrench, and then remove the 1 - 1/8" nut with a breaker bar. You'll then need a strong puller to pull the output coupling off the shaft in most cases. You can see what such a puller looks like in the Specialty Tool section of our online catalog (Product number TOOL_06_135).

Since you had no problems with the reversing gear prior to your disassembly, I don't think any of us on the Forum would look down our noses at you if you decided to put the engine back together with the old oil seal.

Don

Comment

• gilbert landin
      • Nov 2005

reversing gear assembly

I have gone over as much detail as I can in comparing my motor and reversing gear, to your manuals. I have read and reread, some things stick to my brain (not a lot though) I must say, I am a lot more knowledgable now then when I started, and the manuals make a lot more sense in the descriptions. I would have have loved to have all the specialty tools described in the on-line catalog, they would have made for a much easier tear-down and rebuild. HOWEVER for anybody reading this thread, there are two major consideration in a complete rebuild.

1. Time--doing it myself has increased my self-esteem and has made me more familiar with my engine, but since I have limited time to devote to the project I am on my 5th month. I have also spent about 2400.00 on parts, tools, and machine shop labor.

2. Moyer marine sells a short block option-every thing is already done you just slap in your starter,alternator,water pump, manifolds, and carb. Bam you are done. Price might be a little higher, but if time is a problem then this route certainly is the way to go.

I have saved a little in doing it myself and I still have some hurdles, I dont even want to begin to contemplate. But all in all I love rushing home to do one more thing to my little beauty.

thanks don
      gilbert

Comment

Working...
      X