X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered Guest

#1 Unapproved

Oil inside reversing gear

Is the oil inside reversing gear removed by doing an oil change? I have just discovered milky white oil inside my gear case - and thought I had taken care of that 2 years ago after Hurricane Isabel. It does not show on the dipstick. Now what?
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

The oil inside your reversing gear section is changed with each oil change. The problem, however, is that a fair amount of oil is trapped inside the gear cage assembly. It's also been my observation that the centrifugal action of the gear cage assembly tends to almost solidify some of the emulsified oil/water residue within the inside of the gear cage itself, making it a bit problematic in terms of draining out during an oil change.

You might try one of the crankcase flushing products that are available at most auto parts stores. I don't have personal experience with any of them, but if you deal with a credible store, perhaps they can recommend one with which they have had good success.

You might also try a couple quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) the next time you remove your oil for a change, and before you add the new oil. MMO, being thinner, may be able to flush some of your watery residue from the reversing gear.

Comment

Working...
    X