X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unregistered

#1 Unapproved

Timing and centrifugal advance

At what RPM does the centrifugal advance kick in on the Delco distributor?

I just tuned my engine ( 1976 model - Serial 196156) and I don't seem to be getting any centrifugal advance.
    The points were set to a dwell angle of 32 degrees and using a timing light , the initial timing was set to TDC at 600 RPM. Revving the engine up to 1600 RPM, my normal cruising range, the timing does not advance and remains at TDC.

I then adjusted the distributor to produce the maximum engine RPM starting from an initial setting of 1600 RPM ( per the procedure in an old Atomic 4 manual). This setting, checked with the timing light provides about 15 - 20 degrees of advance, but then I have the same advance at 600 RPM at idle.

I checked the centrifugal advance weights and they are free but don't seem to have any effect on timing in the RPM range that I normally run. Are there any other factors which affect the centrifugal advance?

Should the timing be TDC at idle and advance to 15 -20 degrees at 1600+ RPM based on centrifugal advance or should the timing be constant at 15 -20 degrees advance at idle through 1600 RPM?

omec
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Omec,

The standard timing procedure is to set the timing at TDC statically (engine not running). The advance should then move to approximately 8 degrees before TDC at idle, and be fully advanced to approximately 17 degrees by 1700 RPM. These advance specifications are estimates based on our own shop experience. To the best of my knowledge, Universal never published an advance curve.

Don

Comment

Working...
    X