X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonnyQuest
    • Aug 2010

Idle rpm adjustment question

So I have been fouling my plugs and experiencing power loss under load--actually choking out. Hooked up external fuel supply, same problem. Turned out to be the idle mixture being too rich. I adjusted the mixture per instructions and runs nicey now but idle is now up to ~2000. Question is when I adjust the throttle settings to bring the idle rpm down to acceptable, what happens when placed into gear? Does the increased load cause the carb to open up automatically to avoid choking out?

Thanks for pointers on bringing idle back down to spec.
    JonnyQuest
    Boatless right now.
    (Last boat, a fine 27' O'Day 1975)
    MS Gulf Coast
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

idle

JQ, get the idle down to around 800 in neutral and adjust the "mix" at that RPM. Be sure that your linkage does not interfere with getting the idle speed screw against the stop. The carb is metered to flow correctly and when you put it in gear you will loose about a 100 rpm's and it should still idle just fine~~mine will literally all day and no fouling!

When you have the idle close start backing the idle mix screw OUT a tiny bit at a time until the RPM's sart to drop or the engine begins to run rough at that point turn it in about an 1/8 turn and leave it for a bit. Before adjusting the idle I suggest running the engine in gear against the dock line for a few minutes to get it good and warm.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JonnyQuest
      • Aug 2010

Dave, thanks! You are the Carb Guru.
      It will be a week before I get to do the adjustment but I'll post an update then.

Regards,

JQ
      JonnyQuest
      Boatless right now.
      (Last boat, a fine 27' O'Day 1975)
      MS Gulf Coast

Comment

Working...
      X