atomic 4 - 6 months of salt water - lost cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
    Taylor,

All that riser space tells me you have the room for a standpipe, the Holy Grail of exhaust systems. A quick forum search also told me Ericson 29's came from the factory with standpipes, thereby supporting the opinion.
    I thought that installation looked suggestive of a standpipe! Even put that caveat in the original post.

Neil is right. If you've got the room for it, and can tolerate the expense, give serious consideration to converting to a standpipe. It makes it impossible to back-flood the engine by overcranking.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• taylor
      • Mar 2013

At the moment, I don't think I have the budget. I might put it on the list, though, if there's a good reason. Can you explain the benefits of the standpipe? Lower exhaust back pressure and no chance of water in the engine from the exhaust, right?

Since the cooling water enters the exhaust after the vertical rise, it seems to me like the current rise would make it almost impossible for the cooling water to back up into the engine. (It seems like there would have to be a huge amount of water to go backwards through that pipe.) Am I missing something?

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by taylor View Post
        Since the cooling water enters the exhaust after the vertical rise, it seems to me like the current rise would make it almost impossible for the cooling water to back up into the engine. (It seems like there would have to be a huge amount of water to go backwards through that pipe.) Am I missing something?
        You're correct. With the huge hot section rise it's likely you couldn't backflood the engine even if you tried. The advantage of a standpipe in your case is reduced exhaust backpressure and much less superheated pipe to shield. The standpipe is better but only you can decide the cost vs. benefit. I looks to me like you're in good shape either way.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• taylor
          • Mar 2013

Thanks for the clarification, Neil. I'll see how the replacement engine runs with the current setup and determine whether to change out the exhaust.

The rust in the existing hot exhaust was mostly from the manifold, I think. I got it off with a toothbrush.

I'm pulling the old engine this evening and I'll fill er up with that acetone / tranny fluid 50/50 mix. I'll let you all know when I get it unseized (or if I have serious problems with the unseizing).

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Comment

• TimBSmith
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2020

Helpful for oil change....appreciate.

Originally posted by tenders View Post
            I'd swap out the MMO for the A/TF mix. Better medicine for this problem.

You get oil out of the engine with an oil change pump. My favorite device for this is the Topsider, a relatively inexpensive metal tank sold more cheaply at [edit:] NORTHERN TOOL than at West Marine. You vacuum out the tank with an attached hand pump - easy work. You then stuff a clamped tube into the crankcase through the engine's oil fill pipe or dipstick hole, unclamp the tube, and the vacuum in the tank slurps out the oil - also easy work. You then wipe off the tube on your workpants or nearest stray boatyard cat and dispose of the oil from the tank. It works a lot faster with warm, runny oil, but it will work with cold, viscous oil too. It'll work GREAT with the MMO.

Manual oil change pumps requiring you to directly draw out the oil by pulling on a piston are a LOT of work and take a long time to do the job, especially with cold oil, and a good one costs more than a Topsider. Electric oil change pumps are expensive and large - I have never wanted one, but can see how they'd be useful if you own a service station and put it to work ten times a day.
            Link still good. Appreciate the heads up on this 7 years after post....
            Tim Smith
            Oasis
            Pearson 30
            1974, Number 572
            Boston, MA USA

Comment

• hpweisse
              • Aug 2020

Used Atomic 4 with 50 hours on it - if all else fails...

But I'm in Seattle. I head to Atlanta in April if you're still struggling, and windsurf at JAX beach if you can meet me there. I paid $2500 for it, but then my wife sold the boat (wisely). I'll post the engine for sale in a couple weeks for $3500, but it's yours for what I paid for it if you need it, as a Moyer Comm member. I'm not yet in a hurry, and am unfreezing my old A-4 as you are.

Cheers!

- Herbie

Comment

Working...
              X