X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Photobug
    • Jul 2015

Replacing cables

All my cables are stuff but the throttle broke a week ago.

I have taken apart the binnacle and freed the cable out through the binnacle. Looking at the throttle it looks like the plate has sheered as I do not see a hole where the cable will terminate.

Photo attached.

How can this be repaired?
    Attached Files
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Well, there's a first time for everything! I've never seen that before. What happened to the missing piece - should have been on the end of the throttle cable. Does the throttle shaft turn freely, or is it bound up?
    Still thinking about a fix..

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • May 2010

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
      What happened to the missing piece - should have been on the end of the throttle cable.
      Weird. Where did it go? And How?
      Jeff

sigpic
      S/V Bunny Planet
      1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

It seems the original lever broke off the carb. The yellow arrow shows the shoulder where it used to be. If you can't find the original arm (it's gotta be there somewhere!), you'll have to make a new one.
        I think you'll find the original there somewhere. It's gotta be on board unless someone carried it off - it won't go through a bilge pump! To reattach, I'd use silver solder - wire brush, flux, heat, and apply solder. Propane or butane torch should do it. You'll certainly want to remove the carb from the engine, and likely disassemble the throttle plate and remove the throttle shaft - then go at it. I see no need to remove the roll pin and try to remove the hub from the shaft.
        Only question becomes orientation. Throttle lever at idle, carb with throttle plate closed - mark the orientation. Should work.
        So, how did it get broken?
        Attached Files

Comment

• Photobug
          • Jul 2015

Turns out the bracket on there just snapped off. I removed the carburetor and took it to a welding shop and had it welded on. I left it and they said they would get to it later. I marked it clearly guestimating the angle from images I found on the Moyer site. I came back to find it 180 degrees off. The welder then fiipped it over. I reinstalled the carburetor and it worked.

Photos to follow.

Comment

Working...
          X