• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jarod
    • Sep 2006

shaft coupling seized on output coupling

Hello All,

I can't get the shaft coupling off the end of my motor i have cut the shaft so i have a bit more room to work with and i have ground off the heads of the three bolts holding on the coupling yet it still refuses to budge...what am i missing here will the motor have to be pulled?

thanks in advance for any advice
  • Kelly
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2004

Hello Jarod,

Here's a link to a thread that may help you. It includes a picture of the coupling and some advice as to how they could be separated.

Coupling separation...

Good luck,
    Kelly
    Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• tenders
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

My advice (also proffered on ericsonyachts.com) would be to use a Sawzall and cut three slices off the coupling--one just inside each of the three bolts. That will get the shaft out of the way and you can hack off the rest of the pieces with the Sawzall or some sort of a tool with more precision.

Comment

• forcenine
        • Jan 2007

heat

Believe it or not, I had a friend lay fiberglass mats around the engine (yes-and the gas tank) and blowtorch the last stubborn bolt off in order to disconnect the shaft. It worked. On my boat, I've also seen a chisel used to create a slit in the side of a stripped bolt head and then inserted to allow the bolt to be turned by under the force of a hammer applied to the chisel at an angle. A last resort but it was an impressive fix.

Lisa (forcenine)

Comment

Working...
        X