• capn ken
    Frequent Contributor
    • Sep 2021

GORI folding prop

Any thoughts ?
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

If the goal is improved boat speed under sail (what other purpose would a folding prop serve?), the same money could get a new sail. Of course, the age and condition of your sails would be a factor.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• msmith10
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2006

As Neil asked, what's your goal? If you're racing, yes, get a folding prop. If not, I wouldn't bother.
      As folding props go, the Gori is a good one.
      Mark Smith
      1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• capn ken
        Frequent Contributor
        • Sep 2021

GORI folding prop

My old folding prop needs an overhaul after 20 years of service . I could go with a 3 blade fixed but a folding prop looks much cooler !

Comment

• capn ken
          Frequent Contributor
          • Sep 2021

Replacing 20 year old folding prop

I'm going with a GORI 2 blade 1.0 to 1 reduction in gear box rh shaft rotation . My question is shaft size 7/8 standard or 1 inch ? I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row . Ordering the wrong prop makes me nervous. Not to mention haul out and possible delays .

Comment

• msmith10
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2006

The shaft size is whatever is in your boat now, unless you don't currently have a shaft, output coupler, stuffing box and cutlass bearing.
            There are lots of videos on pulling the old prop- unless you can borrow one, you can make your own cheap prop puller. Just google it.
            Take care when placing the new prop on the shaft- you don't want to be pounding the prop onto the shaft and risk damaging the thrust bearing or anything else.
            Really, unless you're racing the change to a folding prop would not be a high priority for me. If I were mostly a cruiser, I'd get the Indigo 3 blade.
            Last edited by msmith10; 04-16-2023, 08:40 AM.
            Mark Smith
            1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

Working...
            X