• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Try something rusty in vinegar.

Guys.
    I don't think vinegar is of much value unless it is left for weeks on end. I had an old rusting crank handle for my A4 and put it in vinegar for a while. Although the vinegar turned rust colored it took 2 weeks before any "credible" rust came off it. The handle still had to be wire brushed as well. As a check, put a piece of rusted metal in a container and see how long it takes. For us to be thinking some appreciable benefit from vinegar as a flush we might need to keep with the muriatic acid.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

My old engine would gradually get warmer and warmer until it was running over 200 degrees. I would put out a bucket of vineager and run the exhaust into it too so the vineager was constantly recycling and let it run for half an hour. That seemd to reduce the running temp back down for a few months or so.
      I do the flush now with the new engine before I put in antifreeze for the winter. The new engine runs cool anyway, but I figure it can't hurt. I never thought I was disolving RUST this way, but salt deposits, mud, goo, and jellyfish remnants.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Rbyham,

You can get gallon jugs at Wal-mart if it is of the "super" variety.

I can get 2 gallon jugs at BJ's (Cosco, Sam's, etc.).

As Mo noted, I think that when 'choosing' between a vinegar flush or a muratic acid flush, you should ask yourself what you are trying to achieve. If I got my engine water jacket all cleaned out & spiffy, I'd use vinegar periodically to keep it that way. But if I hadn't done anything in a while, I'd get it cleaned with muratic & then 'maintain' the cleanliness with vinegar. In my experience, vinegar won't break down the dark, thick sludge that accumulates in the bottom of an engine's water jacket cooled by brackish/salt water.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Too much of a good thing

Also consider the stronger muriatic acid eats away at the metal. If we follow Don's recommended dilution and soak time the erosion is not too much but know that a regular routine of muriatic acid flushes will take their toll over years. The first flush I did included rusticles spitting out the exhaust, clearly not 100% organic goo. The second and last flush, right before converting to FWC and following a strict regimen of fresh water flushes after each use since the first acid flush, was rusticle free.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Jan 2007

Vinegar~acid

Vinegar will eventually get most of the rust however the acid will attack it in minutes. Acid is the best for getting the rust cleared out, however not often necessary.
            In a raw water engine it is not just the rust that attaches inside the block and passages, it is a calcification of all the lil critters bodies and the other stuff in the water as well as the salts if in salt water. In most cases if you do a vinegar "SOAK" and let it sit for a week or so it breaks down the organic deposits and releases a good deal of the rust with it. If a vinegar "SOAK" does not help flow and temps it's then time for the acid.

Raw water cooled A-4 going on 44th year.

IMHO
            Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Do you think a soak beats 30-60 minutes of running with the vineager recirculating?

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
              Vinegar will eventually get most of the rust however the acid will attack it in minutes. Acid is the best for getting the rust cleared out, however not often necessary.
              In a raw water engine it is not just the rust that attaches inside the block and passages, it is a calcification of all the lil critters bodies and the other stuff in the water as well as the salts if in salt water. In most cases if you do a vinegar "SOAK" and let it sit for a week or so it breaks down the organic deposits and releases a good deal of the rust with it. If a vinegar "SOAK" does not help flow and temps it's then time for the acid.

Raw water cooled A-4 going on 44th year.

IMHO
              Dave Neptune
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                • Jan 2007

Heat helps

Joe, yes I do think the soak does work better. The added temp of the engine running helps too. When I do mine I start the engine 3 or 4 times while the vinegar sits in the block. I just keep the pump out of the equation. I run the engine until I see around 150 then shut it down, no "vinegar" circulating though.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

I am not using a seperate pump - I just run the exhaust hose into the same bucket the intake hose is in and the vinegar goes around and around as the engine runs.

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                  Joe, yes I do think the soak does work better. The added temp of the engine running helps too. When I do mine I start the engine 3 or 4 times while the vinegar sits in the block. I just keep the pump out of the equation. I run the engine until I see around 150 then shut it down, no "vinegar" circulating though.

Dave Neptune
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    • Jan 2007

Me too, sorta

Joe, that is the same way I do my "acid flushes". However I use a centrifugal bronze pump from work that is OK with the acid and I do it with a warmed running engine. It is amazing how much krap dissolves in the acid in just a couple of minutes.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• roadnsky
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2008

I agree with the suggestions from Don...

I did an acid flush when I first got the boat and had overheat symptoms.
                      Since then I've done a vinegar flush every other year and it keeps "the plumbing nice and clean"

In addition, I suggest also doing the PRESSURE FLUSH" to do the full colon blow.

And, as Dave and Joe discussed, I run the engine to get the solution warm.
                      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                      sigpic
                      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Rbyham
                        • Jan 2013

Thanks all... As I said my A4 runs great. I am just looking to do a basic maintenence cleaning. This makes me hesitant to try acid. I am plumbed with separate intake line and can put it and exhaust line in a 5gal bucket to circulate. So I think I will go with vinegar soak and see where I end up. Acid just sounds a bit risky for a RWC whose history I do not know but which runs perfect. Guess i have had one too many self-inflicted breakages happen as I was trying to make something that is 1966 "good" be perfect. :-) I am trying to learn the lesson that less can be more. Will report back. Thanks for tip on vinegar gallon sized.

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

BTW - Do not forget the vinegar flush for the head. They too clog up with calcium type deposits. If you forget it long enough the hoses will be like cast concrete and you have a nasty job getting them out.
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

rbyham,

That sure sounds like a good approach to me. If the vinegar flush performs to your satisfaction then we've accomplished the goal!
                            -Shawn
                            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X