• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whippet
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2012

Priming a Racor

Hi Team

I did a forum search and cant find answer to what must be a recurring issue.

How do you prime a new racor? I certainly proved priming is necessary. Electric pump wont do it for you. I bought a priming bulb that those power boaters use, but that doesnt seem to do it either. I did watch a youtube video where guy was doing some trick with alternating squeezing bulb and putting thumb over hose outlet. So squeeze first, them thumb over hose before releasing bulb?

Photo for reference. I located Racor below tank outlet before fuel pump.

thanks

(Admin: please pull my MVP status. I just ask a lot of questions. I dont answer any).
    Attached Files
    Steve
    Etobicoke YC, C&C27
    A4 #204381, 1980
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Sometimes asking the right question is just as important.

I have a priming/polishing system that works great and is low budget. Let me know if you want to install something permanent. About the electric pump not priming, something's not right there. You should be able to pull 24" dry lift.
    Last edited by ndutton; 08-28-2015, 05:43 PM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Steve, I with Neil you must be sucking air. Check the fittings, clamps and all of the Racor screw-ons. Some Racor's have a drain be sure it is closed.

RE MVP, often a great deal is learned for pertinent questions. I'll quote my grandfather, "there is no such thing as a stupid question unless you already no the answer".

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

I've got a Jabsco hand pump that I use for a lot of stuff. Comes with a bunch of adapters and hoses. For priming, I shove a piece of 5/16 OD poly into the pump, and then into the hose leading to the carb - no clamps needed. When I get fuel, I shut the ball valve on the Racor inlet then remove the hand pump and make up the carb connection. No problems. Neat thing is I can see the fuel start to bubble into the poly tubing, then I go slow - no sense drawing gas into the pump if I don't need to.

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Something is wrong. My electric pump will pull fuel through the Racor.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• Marian Claire
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2007

Is the Racor filter higher than the rest of the down stream system? Pump, inline filter, carb.

Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• capnward
              Afourian MVP
              • Aug 2012

My mechanical fuel pump has a hand lever under it that pulls fuel through the Racor like a champ. No need to fill the Racor before installing. I replaced the diaphragm on it 2000 hours ago, just to be pro-active, and use non ethanol fuel with MMO. No problems with it.

Comment

• Whippet
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2012

Location: the racor is higher than pump, carb, polishing filter. See photo above.

As suggested, i will check all fittings. I know hose clamps were tight, and i thought fittings, but perhaps not drain plug on bottom. BTW, I used Ken's black aviation gasket gunk as thread sealer. I will re-check all when i return to Whippet.

Cant imagine a defective Racor since new from MMI. The Dutton option is something i will study.

thanks all for setting me straight that priming should not be required. Perhaps a pointer for others doing this for 1st time.
                Steve
                Etobicoke YC, C&C27
                A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• Marian Claire
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2007

Reason I asked was based on this http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8205
                  A small air leak can slowly fill the highest point in the system with air. From the pic and your other info unless your tank is full the filter is the highest point.
                  No air leak is good but if the large volume areas, filters, are low in the system the air will pass thru unnoticed.
                  Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Whippet
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2012

relocate

Thanks Dan

I may relocate the racor to the firewall of the engine room - roughly same level as pump and carb. I assume it installs on tank side of pump.
                    Steve
                    Etobicoke YC, C&C27
                    A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• capnward
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Aug 2012

another testimonial for mechanical fuel pumps

Thanks Dan, for referring to your previous thread. I learn so much from this forum. One of the things I've learned is that changing to an electric fuel pump is not necessarily an upgrade.
                      Whippet; Getting the Racor well below the top of the tank is a good move. The Racor should definitely be installed upstream of the pump. The top of the fuel in the tank should be the highest point of the system. This is not always possible. The top of my Racor is about level with the top of the tank, and 18" above the carb. But I have a mechanical fuel pump, which apparently can overcome air in the line more than an electric one, so a small air leak will not shut down the engine. I have an anti-siphon valve, a manual valve, a Racor, and an inline filter before the pump. Also, another inline filter and a fuel pressure gauge after the pump. The pump handles all these restrictions well.

Comment

Working...
                      X