X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luvmyi36
    • Jun 2007

Non A4 question...

So, a few weeks ago I get the bright idea that I should flush my water tanks of all the gunk that has accumulated over the last 33 years. Stuck the garden hose in the fill hole on deck, and promptly blew out the fiberglass top of the tank under my starboard settee. My question is, how do I fix this? The "tank" is nothing more than a glassed in area between the settee and the hull. Anybody have a good link to learn the art of working with fiberglass? Thanks in advance.
    Jim
    S/V Cayenne
    1975 Islander 36
    www.betterbmp.com
  • Flagman101
    • Jan 2009

Hello Try this.

Or you could just use some 3M 5200. This stuff is indestructible.
    Daniel
    1973 C&C30 MK1
    Montreal, Canada.
    http://bailandoavoiles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Jesse Delanoy
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2006

I suggest finding a real plastic water tank to fit in the space. If you can't find a rigid tank, see if you can find a collapsible bladder-type tank to fit in the space.

Then check out the West System materials for fiberglass repairs.

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

I agree with Jesse. There are a zillion tanks pre-made for just about any size and shape.

Another option is Triple M Plastics in Maine will make a custom tank for anything you want. I had them make a holding tank a while back, and plan to use them again for this boat. I am tired failed holding tanks with outlets in the bottom. Triple M built one to my specs and added a pick up tube during construction, and led all hoses to the top. I lose about 1.5" of capacity in the bottom with a slash cut pickup tube, but it is worth it after having a tank fail and 'stuff' get in the bilge.

As mentioned, West System offers lots of free and low cost advice on their website. It is a great fiberglass resource.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• s/v Dearbhail
          • Nov 2008

Shawn- Thanks for the suggestion about Triple M. Future projects on the boat include larger fuel, PW an holding tanks.
          Mark
          1970, Northwind 29, #5

Comment

• luvmyi36
            • Jun 2007

Flagman, Thanks for making this topic your first post, and for the link. Welcome to a great place! Looks like a good resource there, thanks again.

Jesse, I will Google bladders and see what I can find.

Shawn, I checked out Triple M. Looks pretty good! Any idea about cost for those?

Thanks again guys.
            Jim
            S/V Cayenne
            1975 Islander 36
            www.betterbmp.com

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Triple M's website is not very up-to-date. Actually when I inquired about a tank last month, the website looked the same as it did 1.5 years ago when I had them build a holding tank for my stepfather's Tartan. I think their focus is really on industrial tanks for fire trucks, etc.., but I was very happy with the tank they built for me & the customer service was great.

For comparison, the estimate for a 25 gal. custom holding tank for the Catalina from Triple M was north of $300. I can get the Kracor for about $250 from Catalina direct (without the 'custom' work I requested). These are only estimates and I don't recall shipping charges, etc..

Despite the extra cost, I personally think it is worth it for the extras. I am a cheapskate on a lot of things. Holding tanks is one area I will not skimp. Katrin at Triple M will answer all of your questions if you give them a call. I simply took a diagram of the Kracor tank dimensions and e-mailed it to them.
              Last edited by sastanley; 02-04-2009, 03:17 PM.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• luvmyi36
                • Jun 2007

Thank you Shawn, I will give them a call. I appreciate the good info.
                Jim
                S/V Cayenne
                1975 Islander 36
                www.betterbmp.com

Comment

Working...
                X