X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dplidr@gmail.com
    • Sep 2019

sacrificial anode ?

In the middle of a tear-down and rebuild of a 44-yo A4 in my C&C 33.
    Surprised at how little corrosion I'm finding. PO had passed away before I purchased but his best friend claimed he was religious about zincs and about dropping an engine-bonded zinc carp overboard at the slip (he owned since '83).

So - resisting the FWC cost but wondering if I can add the internal sacrificial anode Don's MM new blocks include. Is there a good location that anode can be installed into this block from 1975? Looking around the block it's not obvious to me.

Thank for any advice
    -DaveL
    Ishmael22DPL
    C&C-33 1976 A4-RWC
    Peason35 1969 FWC Yanmar3HM
    Evelyn 26 OOD 1979
  • alcodiesel
    • Oct 2015

I could be wrong and I usually am so correct me here, but the sacrificial anodes and carp on my boat are used to keep the prop from corroding from any stray currents. And they do a great job.
    Bill McLean
    '76 Ericson 27
    :valhalla:
    Norfolk, VA

Comment

• Peter
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2016

Yes, the anode on your prop shaft does exactly that.

However, on a RWC engine, the engine is also in direct contact with seawater and therefore, is also potential (pun intended) prey to stray currents.

I have wondered about this myself and I think that you could put the anode anywhere in the cooling system IF the anode is well grounded to the block.

Might even be best to put it in your intake line to get the current before it gets to the block.

Am I miles off base here?

Peter

Comment

Working...
      X