X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lubberdink
    • Feb 2012

round 1

Today I went to the boat and checked things out. It's getting to 110 around here so spending extensive time working on it isn't feasible (unless you have a large S on your chest). I tried to get an early start this am to beat the heat but realized I'd have had to started back in April to do that.

I checked the vent where daubers had been some time ago. I had already cleaned out the vent from the outside and I pulled the hose from the tank completely off today. Clean as a whistle. So that's not it.

I then decided to go with easy first so pulled the coil and went to the parts house. Got one but requires an external resistor. Got that BUT!!! Does anyone know where in the circuit it goes? I would assume since the neg wire goes to the dist, not there. One positive wire goes to the switch so assume not there. The other positive goes to the alternator and I assume THAT's the one. But would like to be sure.

If you see this today and know the resistor answer, drop a line. I'd like to go back and make repairs if I can get an answer but I'm not sticking my nose out the door until I know then it will be a MAD DASH to the boat to fix it before I melt!

BTW-someone asked about the fuel setup-10 gal tank on starboard. Fuel comes out the top, through a shutoff, short length of hose to filter, hose goes down to hull and across to port side, then to the mechanical fuel pump and on to the carb.

As stated before-runs great at startup or after sitting a while. Only degrades after run for 20 minute or so on moderate throttle.

THANKS for all the great suggestions and help.
    S/V Glenn E, Newport 27 N270088 1970 w/ORIGINAL A4 power
    Honoring Medal of Honor recipient S/Sgt Glenn English, Jr,
    who gave his life for our freedom 9/7/70
    "Sailing with a Hero"
    sigpic

Comment

• lubberdink
      • Feb 2012

Eureka!

I may have figured it out. Check me on this. The purpose of the ballast resistor is to limit the amount of voltage to the coil to reduce wear on it after the engine is started. According to diagram and what I've found, it goes in the circuit between the switch and the + of the coil, NOT between the coil and alternator.

You learn something new every day if you pay attention! Now-into the fray...er...HEAT!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ignition Circuit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	193383
      "Sailing with a Hero"
      sigpic

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by lubberdink View Post
        ...The purpose of the ballast resistor is to limit the amount of voltage to the coil to reduce wear on it after the engine is started. According to diagram and what I've found, it goes in the circuit between the switch and the + of the coil, NOT between the coil and alternator.
        Exactly! (The line FROM the ALT is just an "exciter" wire)
        You might want to also read thru this thread...

Start at Neil's post #105 and read at least thru #113
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• lubberdink
          • Feb 2012

Thanks

Road-
          Thanks for the confirmation, link, and definition of that "other exciting" wire! It's nice to have the confidence of experience already gained by others. Makes repairing easier when you have a good idea you know what you're supposed to be doing!

Best regards and happy sailing---more to come on this front.
          "Sailing with a Hero"
          sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

lubberdink..that is a great drawing..I might recommending adding it to the drawings/schematics section of this forum later on. It may prove valuable. Any chance you have it slightly larger?

What are the specs on the resistor and the coil that you just bought? You can measure these with a simple ohm (multi)meter across the (+) & (-) terminals of the coil, and also measure the resistance across the two blade connections on your resistor..do the measurements with nothing attached to be sure your readings are accurate.

As you may be learning from that other thread, we want to make sure you have enough resistance to keep the total amperage of the coil circuit under 4 amps.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• lubberdink
              • Feb 2012

So far so good

I took a big gulp of cold air and headed for the boat. Actually, sitting under the cockpit snuggled up to the motor wasn't too bad. I thought it would be a lot hotter. But I digress...

I got the new coil on and resister in series with the ignition-coil lead. I originally mounted the resistor on a piece of wood but had to move it because a)I remembered reading something that said they got pretty warm and b)my wire was too short. Mainly b. Also add c-getting fat guy in and out from under the cockpit. So currently it is suspended by the mounting hold in mid-air. It's not in the way and ought to get plenty of airflow.

I then fired up the A4 (she hits in about a second when I tickle the starter. Always has). Warmed it up for about 10 minutes and then we motored out to around staying close. Was out for about a half hour or so in 100+ HEAT. Ran like a champ. I'm not going to say definitively it's fixed but things are looking up.

Shawn-to answer your question-I didn't check the resistance as I didn't have an ohm meter with me but assumed the resistor was the right one to go with the coil per the parts guy. Should I not trust that formula? What should the resistance (coil + resistor) be? I assume using the old E/IR formula (12/4r) the answer would be about 3 ohms.

Thanks again for your concern and good advice.

Lubrdink
              "Sailing with a Hero"
              sigpic

Comment

• lubberdink
                • Feb 2012

Oh, I forgot

Shawn,
                RE: the drawing. I have the original I "procured" from the Google pics I can post to this site. Not sure where to do that but if you can enlighten me, I'd be glad to.
                "Sailing with a Hero"
                sigpic

Comment

• roadnsky
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

I took a big gulp of cold air and headed for the boat. Actually, sitting under the cockpit snuggled up to the motor wasn't too bad. I thought it would be a lot hotter. But I digress...
                  You know, working in my engine compartment here on the "River Styx" (Vegas) it always surprises me how it's not ever as bad as I think it's gonna be.
                  AND the bonus is that all the sweating is just like doing a workout, so I reason that I've earned my beer! (well, not really)

...Was out for about a half hour or so in 100+ HEAT. Ran like a champ.
                  Man, I'm gonna get some HEAT for asking this, but here goes...
                  Lubrdink-
                  Next time you're out in 100° heat, will you check your Facet and see if it's too hot to hold your hand on (at idle) please?
                  I have a good reason for asking...

...I didn't check the resistance as I didn't have an ohm meter with me but assumed the resistor was the right one to go with the coil per the parts guy. Should I not trust that formula?
                  NEVER trust the parts guy! (Unless it's Ken )

What should the resistance (coil + resistor) be? I assume using the old E/IR formula (12/4r) the answer would be about 3 ohms.
                  You need to get to 4 ohms.
                  So, I'm sending you back to do some homework and read the coil thread...

See Neil's post #132

I've also attached the calculator.
                  Attached Files
                  -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                  sigpic
                  1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• lubberdink
                    • Feb 2012

Ok

Ok Road-I"ve been married over 32 years and know when I'm busted. Back to do a better job of reading.

By the way-I'd be glad to check my Facet if I could figure out what it is. I find around the dock if I grab things to test the temperature I get slapped a lot.

Thanks for the calculator too. I've got to break out my VOM and get after it.
                    "Sailing with a Hero"
                    sigpic

Comment

• roadnsky
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2008

I"ve been married over 32 years...
                      Good for you!

By the way-I'd be glad to check my Facet if I could figure out what it is. I find around the dock if I grab things to test the temperature I get slapped a lot.
                      It's the Electric Fuel Pump.
                      (Check out the pic in post #12)

Actually, I may be assuming too much here...
                      Do you HAVE an Electric Fuel Pump or is it Mechanical?
                      AND is it a Facet?
                      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                      sigpic
                      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

lubr,

Jerry's got it all covered for now & it should have answered your questions...we'll wait for your report back.

After several days (weeks?) near and over 100°F here, it will only be 85°F with a heat index in the low 90's & T-storms.

However, we really need the rain in Southern Maryland...Washington DC & Richmond, VA have been getting storms almost daily, and we haven't seen a drop of rain in several weeks...lotsa scattered stuff around, but it always seems to pass & little north, or a little south of us.
                        -Shawn
                        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                        sigpic

Comment

• lubberdink
                          • Feb 2012

Fuel Pump

Mine's mechanical. No wonder I couldn't find that Facet.
                          "Sailing with a Hero"
                          sigpic

Comment

• roadnsky
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Dec 2008

Mine's mechanical. No wonder I couldn't find that Facet.
                            Ok, damn!
                            I was gonna have you do some "testing".
                            Let us know on that coil...

(106° here today Shawn)
                            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                            sigpic
                            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• sastanley
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2008

Yeah...but you guys don't even have the phrases "Heat Index" or "humidity" in your vocabulary in Las Vegas...
                              -Shawn
                              sigpic

Comment

• edwardc
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Aug 2009

...What should the resistance (coil + resistor) be? I assume using the old E/IR formula (12/4r) the answer would be about 3 ohms.

That answer would be right if we had only 12 volts at all times. But the alternator can (and will!) push the voltage up to over 14 volts when charging.
                                @(^.^)@ Ed
                                1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                                with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X