X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kurt
    • Jun 2007

Replacing Exhaust Hose

This might be a strange question, but I was wondering if anyone out there has replaced the flexible tubing portion or their exhaust in an area where normal sized humans cannot fit. The aft portion (from the water lift muffler to the exhaust exit on the transom) appears original and there is a small section where the metal rings inside the rubber tubing are rusting and have popped out of the rubber. The exhaust isn't leaking yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. My arms have access to some of this tubing, but there is just no physical way to get to where it is attached to the exhaust exit fitting. I was thinking of hiring a midget mechanic.........Or maybe people have had luck with a really long (like 3-4 feet) screwdriver to get to the hose clamps?
  • msauntry
    • May 2008

What kind of boat is it? Maybe there's a secret way in that other owners know about. (Trap door in a locker?) You're right about replacing it since it would be very uncomfortable down below with exhaust fumes and water filling up your bilge when it lets go. Expect to be uncomfortable.

If I ever find a midget with really long arms, I'm gonna hire him and make a fortune in the boat yards!

Comment

• Kurt
      • Jun 2007

Ah- sorry for neglecting to indicate the type of boat - it's a 1976 C&C 33. If no one knows of any secret ways to do this I might have to put my girlfriend to work - she's a little less than 5 feet tall. She might start to resent the boat at that point though, so I'd rather find a midget mechanic or, preferably ideas on special tools to reach places that arms and bodies can't.

Comment

• tenders
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

Can you cut a hole in a bulkhead with a drill and a handheld jigsaw to get to it?

I don't see how a 3' screwdriver helps. Once you get the hose clamps off the hose isn't going to exactly leap off the fitting.

Those probably aren't metal rings in the wire--it's a single wire spiral.
        Last edited by tenders; 06-09-2008, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• baileyem
          • Jun 2006

Exhaust hose

Kurt
          Just thinking about your situation: can you possobly remove the exhaust fitting from the transom and pull the hose out through the transom without having to remove that clamp? Just a thought.

Good luck, Mike

Comment

• Kurt
            • Jun 2007

That's an idea I hadn't thought of, Mike - thanks. It may be worth a try. If all else fails, I really am thinking of placing an ad on Craig's List for a very small person I mean, the work is so simple that mechanical skills are not required - the space is the issue.

Comment

• luvmyi36
              • Jun 2007

Kurt, I did mine about a year and a half ago. I cussed and cussed at the space I had to work with as well. Being of fairly substantial size, no way in the world I could get doawn and do it. I was fortunate to have a dock mate walk by and hear me cuss. He was a smaller guy, and said he would love to help. It cost me a 6 pack, but hey, it's done! HTH.
              Jim
              Jim
              S/V Cayenne
              1975 Islander 36
              www.betterbmp.com

Comment

• Kurt
                • Jun 2007

Well folks, I looked into my exhaust situation in more detail and don't think I'll have to hire a midget with long arms. There is a small port opening behind the helm seat and, when the plastic cover is removed and arms are contorted and stretched into the black abyss, I can actually get to all clamps with a foot long screwdriver. Next question, however. The rubber tubing on the section of exhaust that goes from the water lift muffler to the exit on the transom has spiral wire in it - the fact that it is rusting and popping out of the hose is why I want to replace it. The section of rubber hose from the hot section of the exhaust to the water lift muffler is just multi-layer rubber without the wire in it. What is the best type of exhaust hose to use? Does it matter?

Thanks!

Comment

• luvmyi36
                  • Jun 2007

As I understand it, the hose with wire in it helps prevent the hose from collapsing under the heat and pressure of the exhaust. I used that type for mine, a little more expensive, but, if I can put this project off next time for a while longer, it is worth it.
                  Jim
                  S/V Cayenne
                  1975 Islander 36
                  www.betterbmp.com

Comment

• gary gerber
                    • May 2008

replacing exhaust hose

I do have a suggestion that worked well for me. Reinforced rubber exhaust hose is quite rigid and difficult to slip on fittings. I purchased a tail pipe expander from an auto supply store, I slipped it into the hose and using a wrench expanded the rubber exhaust hose. Quickly release the pipe expander and slide the hose on the fitting before it contracts.

Comment

• jayw
                      • Feb 2007

The expander is a great idea, I'll try it next time.
                      I've also put the end of the hose into hot water for a couple of minutes making it softer and more easily pushed on. The water also lubricates a bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X