X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joeamelia
    • Aug 2007

Easiest way to remove ruined head?

I removed all the nuts for the head, each stud is taking penetrating fluid, and I'm tapping gently (not gently enough apparently) and there is a small hole in the head on the side.

So now it doesn't matter if I ruin the head or not, it is already ruined and I will order another. I still need to get this head off, I am still tapping, not quite so gently and adding penetrating fluid in all 13 studs (4 studs came out).

Any suggestions on a quicker way to remove (its still in the boat). I have paper towels stuffed in all the holes, of course.

Joe
    Joe Amelia
    S/V "Pot 'O' Gold"
    potogold.wordpress.com
  • Baltimore Sailor
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

I used wooden shims cut from 2X4s to lift the head off. Worked great. If you're having trouble getting that first little gap to work the shim into, and you're not caring about the head, why not use an old wood chisel that you also don't care about to get the head started? Put the flat part against the block and the angle on the head and tap away.

Comment

• joeamelia
      • Aug 2007

its off & everything looks good

The head is off, everything inside looks good as far as I can tell, just waiting for Don to review my parts order, will get the new gaskets and head, hopefully shipped friday, install parts monday, head out to the Gulf on Tuesday. Can still make my date with turquoise water.
      Joe Amelia
      S/V "Pot 'O' Gold"
      potogold.wordpress.com

Comment

• adab1402
        • Mar 2007

new head

I,ve got a good used one .100.00 if your interested . fair winds adab1402

Comment

• joeamelia
          • Aug 2007

thanks for the offer

But we decided to go with one of Don's new aftermarket heads. Already ordered, hopefully here first of the week.

Joe
          Joe Amelia
          S/V "Pot 'O' Gold"
          potogold.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
          X