• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Kerr
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jun 2010

Broken Exhaust Pipe

I recently discovered a broken pipe in the exhaust system in my 29' Ericson.
    Does anyone have experience changing out the exhaust? I had the system replaced about 5 years ago. Moyer Marine has the assembled unit on their web site. My problem is that I'm not very mechanically inclined and could use some guidance. The engine is the Atomic 4.
    Thanks for any help from the mechanically able.

Don Kerr
    Pasadena, MD
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Don-
    You can replace the broken exhaust pipe with 1¼" black iron pipe found at your local hardware store.
    It will need to be wrapped with a good heat wrap because it's a hot potato when running.
    (The MMI site sells the wrap here)

Attached is a basic sketch of an exhaust layout as well as some instructions.
    Attached Files
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

Hmm? Pasadena, That's where Ed's boat is I think.

Anyway, there have been so many threads on this forum with lots of great tips on exhaust systems. There are many different ways to route it, so if you can post a photo of the break and type of routing you have, you may get more specific answers. Chances are, there is always somebody has been there done that and is willing to chime in.
      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Peter
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2016

Don,

Replaced the exhaust on my E29 last summer. It is quite a simple task.

Caveat - my system was an iron pipe system, with a water injection nipple all feeding a water-lift muffler.

1) remove old exhaust - you will probably need to cut it somewhere as it cannot be removed from the boat intact

2) Take it to a plumbing supply shop and ask them for the parts you need in BLACK IRON - NOT GALVANIZED. The galvanized will off-gas toxic fumes.

If memory serves me correctly, I needed four 90 degree elbows, one straight union, four standard length nipples, and one section of pipe custom cut to length and threaded. See image

3) While at the shop, ask them to get the exhaust flange and the water mixing fitting off the old pipe for you. Mine were rusted on pretty good and needed some heat and serious sized pipe wrenches to remove.

4) Why two nipples in the straight run leaving the engine? The exhaust needs to be finally assembled in place and that run is the last piece to be put on. I wanted to have lots of leeway to get the flange lined up properly.

5) You will need a new exhaust flange gasket - i order one from MMI.

6) You will need some exhaust wrap. Also available from MMI. I used two kits. I made the error of trying some cheap stuff first - it smoked for a long time.

At the time when I sought advice, many people recommended getting rid of the water-lift and going with a stand-pipe. Depending upon your budget that might be a good way to go.

I also added an anti-siphon valve (from MMI) at the top of the cooling water loop just before it goes into the exhaust system.

Hope that helps.

Peter
        Attached Files

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Don Kerr View Post
          My problem is that I'm not very mechanically inclined and could use some guidance. The engine is the Atomic 4.
          Thanks for any help from the mechanically able.
          Don Kerr
          Pasadena, MD
          Don
          First off a big welcome to the forum.
          As you have probably realized this is a DIY forum. Nobody in the forum was born "mechanically inclined". We all had to learn it.
          Stick around. You will become very mechanically inclined. You will learn everything about your engine and boat, have more confidence in your engine, and yourself, and as a bonus not have to depend on others.
          We do it all - even dabble in marital advice at times. Feel free to ask anything you need answered. You will not be belittled or ridiculed in any way.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
            • May 2010

Don - welcome to the Forum!

First - if you don't have one, please consider getting the MMI engine manual from our sponsor here. It's really good, even if you don't plan on doing your own wrenching. This is the most useful boat money you will ever spend.

Second - I would only add to Peter's note that if you can get schedule 80 pipe for the straight sections and nipples it will be that much better. You get some extra wall thickness which will give it a bit more longevity in the threads where it usually fails first.

Third - we all learn. I joined as an A4 noob and asked a cooling question that had been patiently answered many times before. Then three years ago I rebuilt one. Now I'm dispensing advice on the internet. Go figure!
            Jeff

sigpic
            S/V Bunny Planet
            1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• Administrator
              MMI Webmaster
              • Oct 2004

Hi, Don:

Look for the thread on the meet-and-greet at Cantler's in Annapolis April 29th!

Bill
              Last edited by Administrator; 04-18-2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• edwardc
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                Hmm? Pasadena, That's where Ed's boat is I think.
                Yes, it is. Good memory Russ!

Don,

Welcome to the forum! You'll learn everything you need to know about the Atomic 4 right here.

What Marina in Pasadena? I'm at Oak Harbor. I'd be happy to come by and give you a hand, but right now I'm finishing up a 9 month sailing trip to the Bahamas, and I won't be back in town until June.
                @(^.^)@ Ed
                1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• sdemore
                  • Nov 2016

Oak Harbor? I should be right around the corner from you at White Rocks this weekend. Have to tow the boat up from Edgewater on Saturday.

Don, I just started with A4s (and sailboats in general) in November and already have my first rebuild under my belt now. This forum and the people who make it up are fantastic!
                  Last edited by sdemore; 04-18-2017, 10:51 PM.
                  Steve Demore
                  S/V Doin' It Right
                  Pasadena, MD
                  sigpic

Comment

• Don Kerr
                    Frequent Contributor
                    • Jun 2010

Broken Exhaust Ericson 29

Hi, Thanks for the response. I was using Oak Harbor for Winter Storage for the past three years but now I'm back at the Pasadena Yacht Yard (across the creek). I also have an A4 block that I'm hoping to try to rebuild someday. However, I barely know which end of a hammer you blow into. Hopefully, This forum and the helpful replies that I have received so far will help me get a new exhaust system.

Comment

• Don Kerr
                      Frequent Contributor
                      • Jun 2010

Broken Exhaust 29 Ericson

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
                      Yes, it is. Good memory Russ!

Don,

Welcome to the forum! You'll learn everything you need to know about the Atomic 4 right here.

What Marina in Pasadena? I'm at Oak Harbor. I'd be happy to come by and give you a hand, but right now I'm finishing up a 9 month sailing trip to the Bahamas, and I won't be back in town until June.
                      I'm at Pasadena Yacht Yard, across the Creek from Oak Harbor.
                      Thanks for your response.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Don Kerr View Post
                        . Hopefully, This forum and the helpful replies that I have received so far will help me get a new exhaust system.
                        Don, I know the feeling. I've been down this road before when I did my first exhaust system rebuild.
                        As Peter mentioned get the current hot section off the boat and take it in to a plumbing supply store and buy what you need. If the current set up was not working correctly because it has been modified by a previous owner(s) let us know. I'm sure we will be able to come up with a correctly functioning exhaust system for you if this is the case.
                        I took the old exhaust hot section to a machine shop and they were able to salvage the flange and water injection piece for only $30.00 bucks.
                        Best of luck. Let us know if you hit any bumps in the road.
                        BTW: Don't go after the flange bolts with a open end wrench. You will only round them. Use a 6 point socket or a closed end wrench.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• zellerj
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2005

Two places in one time

Ed,

Can you explain how you can be in Pasadena and Maryland? Do you have two boats? Interested in the logistics.
                          Jim Zeller
                          1982 Catalina 30
                          Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• lat 64
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by zellerj View Post
                            Ed,

Can you explain how you can be in Pasadena and Maryland? Do you have two boats? Interested in the logistics.
                            It's like this:
                            Elvis lies in Memphis but he's not in Egypt

thankyouverymuch
                            sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• romantic comedy
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2007

I lived in Pasadena MD and kept my boat at Oak harbor marina. Ken was there at the time. He was mostly retired as of 2 years ago, when I saw him there.

Comment

Working...
                              X