• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ronstory
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2016

;^)

I *promise* to post an update from the boat when I get up there.
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Portland, OR

Comment

• ronstory
      Afourian MVP
      • Feb 2016

Ok, Confessions of an idiot

Just got up to the boat yesterday and found the problem. In my enthusiasm to replace the leaking manifold i forgot to block the 1/8” NPT port immediately above the carb flange, causing the engine to run impossibly lean.

I found it by following the mantra of my high school electronics teacher, “Always begin debugging with a thorough visual inspection.” I did the spark plug wires, the coil wiring, checked for air gaps at the manifold gaskets, carb flange and then ran a mirror down both sides of the engine… and found that nearly 3/8” open hole in the intake passage.

I’M STOOOPID, with three ‘O’s (sigh)

I put a brass plug in the port and the engine immediately started. 20 mins later the idle and mixture is set and the motor is running fine…again.

Now it’s not all rainbows & puppies, the alternator is not charging… but that is today’s project along with tranny adjustments.

Thank-you all for the suggestions, your help and wisdom is always appreciated.
      Last edited by ronstory; 06-25-2021, 11:43 AM. Reason: Typos
      Thanks,
      Ron
      Portland, OR

Comment

• ronstory
        Afourian MVP
        • Feb 2016

The alternator is toast. When I measured it output terminal, it would swing between 15.8, 15.9, 9.8, 10ish, 15.8, 16.0, 9.7, 9.9V ... over and over again.

Time to pull the proven old alternator from the former motor.
        Thanks,
        Ron
        Portland, OR

Comment

Working...
        X