X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dharmadollars
    • Oct 2004

Wiring Harness/Disconnnects

I have a 1974 Catalina 27--A4 powered. The two sets of disconnects in the wiring harnass have deteriorated, and some insulation on wires leading into the blocks was melted when another, unnamed, person loaded up the juice with a battery charger and melted the insulation while attempting to get the engine started.

I have tried local automotive, electrical and trucking supply outlets to locate disconnects to replace the fried ones. No luck.

Any suggestions regarding where I might get replacement disconnect units, or in the alternative, a replacement wiring harness?

George Collis
    Arnold, MD
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

George,

I'm not sure where you would find these connectors. My understanding is that they were made by Medallion. Perhaps you could find information on their availability on the Internet. Before replacing the connectors, however, there are a couple things you should know.

There is a third quick-disconnect hidden under the cabin sole which can only be found by removing the square wooden access panel through which the stuffing box of the prop shaft is serviced and reaching (a couple feet) over toward the galley stove area.

You should also know that Catalina themselves recommend that this harness be replaced by simply hard-wiring each of the wires directly from the respective locations on the engine to the back of the instrument panel.

Catalina also recommends that the ammeter be replaced with a voltmeter due to the long distance between the engine and the cockpit panel. With a voltmeter in the cockpit to monitor alternator performance, the main charging lead from the alternator gets connected directly to the large battery terminal on the starter (about 8 inches away from the alternator), thereby reducing the charging circuit by almost 30 feet. The voltmeter is connected to any convenient DC source of power already available in the panel.

Best regards,

Don Moyer

Comment

• wcurnow
      • Jun 2011

wiring the alternator

Thank you Don, wiring the alternator output and using the voltmeter to watch charging made a lot of sense to me too when I wired it up this way. I am very happy to have this post.
      Thanks, Will

Comment

Working...
      X