X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveG
    • Jun 2008

Stalling in Reverse

Not really stalling in reverse, I actually never get the prop to turn in reverse.

When I move from the forward detent, which I can feel and see, with the cover off, moving through the neutral zone, the prop never really stops turning, as I apply the brake (sorry can't recall the technical term) but moving into reverse to stop the reversing gear assembly, the motor stalls.

I don't want to force anything by really adding throttle or RPM's to the motor while moving into reverse.

Is there anything that could be jammed that will keep the prop from turning in reverse?
  • Chip Hindes
    • Aug 2007

Did this happen suddenly, or over time, or after you adjusted the tranny, or has it always been this way?

You shouldn't need to go into reverse to stop the prop from turning forward. The prop should stop turning as soon as you get into neutral. If the prop is still turning, the tranny is still in forward gear. It can be so even if it it's not fully engaged in forward detent position.

From your description it sounds like either the forward clutches or the reversing band or both are adjusted so tight that the tranny never really makes it into neutral. This results in the tranny being in both forward and reverse gears at the same time.
    Chip Hindes
    '74 Newport 30' S/V "Scarlett"

Comment

• DaveG
      • Jun 2008

Stalling in reverse

Got'er fixed.

As always, followed Don's instructions on adjustments, I now have a real solid detent feel, for Fwd, and nice neutral zone and reverse that I can hold without too much trouble.

Next project cooling, maybe I'll even give myself an early Christmas present and convert to Fresh Water Cooling.

Comment

Working...
      X