X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Have you checked the polishing and or the first filter as they could be plugged up causing a very "low capacity fuel flow". Flow and pressure are two different things.
    Did you try to retighten all of the fittings and clamps between the pump and the tank?

NOTE: Starting with "motor crack" regularly is a very bad idea. It burns very fast and can cause a lot of premature bearing wear because cranking is what gets the oil flowing and sitting just drains the oil away.

It should take no longer than a few seconds for the carb bowl to fill. I cheap pressure gage will answer many questions now and in the future, well worth the investment.

Just making it work is not fixing anything and who wants to be stuck out there looking for a tow?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• AtomicBaby
      • Jul 2023

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
      Have you checked the polishing and or the first filter as they could be plugged up causing a very "low capacity fuel flow". Flow and pressure are two different things.
      Did you try to retighten all of the fittings and clamps between the pump and the tank?

NOTE: Starting with "motor crack" regularly is a very bad idea. It burns very fast and can cause a lot of premature bearing wear because cranking is what gets the oil flowing and sitting just drains the oil away.

It should take no longer than a few seconds for the carb bowl to fill. I cheap pressure gage will answer many questions now and in the future, well worth the investment.

Just making it work is not fixing anything and who wants to be stuck out there looking for a tow?

Dave Neptune
      Thanks Dave.

The fuel polisher was new when I put pump on & water filter begining of season.

I actually use about 1/3 oz gas in throat (just wanted to avoid all the you're going to blow up boat comments).

Initially I was afraid of getting stranded on lake so I'd leave engine on at idle. But now not a concern as consistently starts after 1st start.

I still need to get to bottom of it. As much as I hate undoing connections, fuel pressure gauge is on the list. Next trip down I'll remove fuel polisher to see if it makes a difference.

I need to leave 2+ days sitting to see if changes work so hopefully pressure gauge will shed some light.

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by AtomicBaby View Post
        Ps. I do use the choke on start.
        I have noticed that since going to electric pump, I don't notice as much of a change after engine start when I open choke
        When you do the filter check...

I'd suggest you also VERIFY that the choke is closing and opening properly.
        IF it isn't closing completely, when you're attempting to start from dead cold, I could see it taking as long as you're reporting.
        AND if you're running slightly rich, it would explain the quick starting when warm.
        Last edited by roadnsky; 07-19-2023, 10:35 AM.
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• AtomicBaby
          • Jul 2023

Thanks. I've verified choke with flame arrestor off.
          It will start up no problem cold as long as it hasn't been sitting for 2+ days, so don't think warm/cold is a factor.

Either
          Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
          When you do the filter check...

I'd suggest you also VERIFY that the choke is closing and opening properly.
          IF it isn't closing completely, when you're attempting to start from dead cold, I could see it taking as long as you're reporting.
          AND if you're running slightly rich, it would explain the quick starting when warm.

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

AtomicBaby. A cheap Mr Gasket #1561 on Amazon is about $25. I would always reference a part here at Moyer, but as far as I can tell they do not offer one. Add in a couple 1/8" NPT fittings and Bob's your uncle. I had mine as close to the carb as I could get it. When it went to zero, I knew something upstream was no good.
            I personally preferred the mechanical fuel pump, and I gave the bale a couple pumps after sitting for xx days and had 4PSI at the fuel pressure gauge/carb knowing she was ready to go.
            Last edited by sastanley; 07-19-2023, 10:27 PM.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X