X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AtomicBaby
    • Jul 2023

New Electric Fuel Pump - Hard start if left 2+ days

Installed an electric Facet. Seems to work well but if left for 2 or more days, tough to start. Carb is clean. Bypass in place to let pump run prestart. Used shutoff valve to rule out fuel being siphoned back to tank. A small bit of starter fluid in flame arrestor will fire it up and it can then be restarted easily on its own...... as long as 2 or more days don't pass. No apparent leaks - thought maybe small leak through bolt in carb bowl. How long is reasonable to let pump run before starting? Bad check valve?

Thanks!
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Couple of questions...
    • What MODEL of Facet pump?
    • Are you using the choke when cold starting?
    • What filter(s) do you have in line?
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• AtomicBaby
      • Jul 2023

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
      Couple of questions...
      • What MODEL of Facet pump?
      • Are you using the choke when cold starting?
      • What filter(s) do you have in line?
      Thanks. It's the Moyer facet pump (2.5-4psi). I have a sierra water filter pre-pump and a facet polish filter post pump.

Comment

• AtomicBaby
        • Jul 2023

Originally posted by AtomicBaby View Post
        Thanks. It's the Moyer facet pump (2.5-4psi). I have a sierra water filter pre-pump and a facet polish filter post pump.
        Ps. I do use the choke on start. I have noticed that since going to electric pump, I don't notice as much of a change after engine start when I open choke

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

If you are using an OPSS as you should it may be the trouble. After a couple of days the fuel in the bowl will evaporate out and make starting difficult. The OPSS will not allow the pump to pump until it senses oil pressure which takes a few seconds and then it will start pumping to fill the bowl which will also take some time. Many who use an electric pump install a momentary priming switch to bypass the OPSS so the carb can be primed before starting.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• AtomicBaby
            • Jul 2023

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
            If you are using an OPSS as you should it may be the trouble. After a couple of days the fuel in the bowl will evaporate out and make starting difficult. The OPSS will not allow the pump to pump until it senses oil pressure which takes a few seconds and then it will start pumping to fill the bowl which will also take some time. Many who use an electric pump install a momentary priming switch to bypass the OPSS so the carb can be primed before starting.

Dave Neptune
            Thanks Dave. I do use an opss and installed a bypass. I leave the ignition on for a few mins before trying to start, but that doesn't seem to do it. How long is reasonable to run it before hitting start? 5 mins? More? Also sensitive to water backing up on premature start attempts

So normal for fuel to evap from bowl after 2 or more days? Didn't happen with mechanical pump but probably cuz pressure kept a small drip going

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              • Jan 2007

First be sure the pump is running, you should hear the clicking. When the clicking stops it is time to start. Leave the water valve closed until she starts and you will eliminate the water encroachment. As soon as she starts open the valve and life will be good. Check the clicking of the pump out next time your there to start. The bypass should start the pump when activated as soon as the key is switched to run. A simple cheap pressure gage in front of the carb will let you know and be good for future diagnostics.

Yes the fuel will evaporate with either pump however the mechanical pump pumps as soon as the engine starts turning, it does not wait for enough oil pressure.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• AtomicBaby
                • Jul 2023

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                First be sure the pump is running, you should hear the clicking. When the clicking stops it is time to start. Leave the water valve closed until she starts and you will eliminate the water encroachment. As soon as she starts open the valve and life will be good. Check the clicking of the pump out next time your there to start. The bypass should start the pump when activated as soon as the key is switched to run. A simple cheap pressure gage in front of the carb will let you know and be good for future diagnostics.

Yes the fuel will evaporate with either pump however the mechanical pump pumps as soon as the engine starts turning, it does not wait for enough oil pressure.

Dave Neptune
                Thanks. Just saw this. Was out earlier tonight - boat was sitting for 2 days. Took about 8 minutes of pump running to get it started. Seems high. Pump definitely clicking. I didn't listen/wait for it to stop (I saume it stops when float closes?). I will run pump next time until I hear pump quiet down. I do shut the water valve sometimes as a preventive measure. But I have a knob valve that takes like 15 turns to open close...... Need to convert to a lever).

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                  • Jan 2007

Check the fittings and hose connections between the tank and the pump. You probably are sucking air into one or a few, it takes very little air to really mess things up. Fifteen seconds should be more than enough time.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

1. The Facet pump always clicks regardless of fuel pressure.
                    2. 8 minutes is a ridiculous time for priming. Mine takes at most 30 seconds and that is with a known dry carburetor bowl (I run my fuel out at shutdown).
                    3. I did not see the suggestion of a fuel pressure gauge. The information it provides would be very helpful with this.
                    4. I suspect fuel system leaks ahead of the pump*, clogged filters, a choke not fully closing or any combination.

*Fuel system leaks ahead of the pump seldom show fuel leaking out. The portion of the fuel system between the tank and the pump operates under vacuum or negative pressure so leaks allow air into the system rather than anything out.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

I usually run the fuel out when done for the day.
                      On the first start of the day, I hold the prime button and watch the fuel pressure. It jumps around a bit, goes up to about 4, and the needle steadies and I hit the start button. It takes at most 30 seconds. If I primed for *8 minutes* I would be burning up my points and/or coil
                      For safety reasons I made the prime button only work with ignition on.
                      For the second and subsequent starts of the day without running the fuel out the start process takes about 2 seconds with no priming.
                      You must have something wrong like an air leak.
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• Sam
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Apr 2010

My other concern now would be "8 minutes" with ignition on waiting on pump prime - hard on ignition coil life,

Comment

• AtomicBaby
                          • Jul 2023

Agreed 8 mins is insane. Has to be a leak somewhere. Assuming small enough that it takes a couple of days sitting to let in enough air to cause problems ie if 1 hour or 1 day, starts no problem.

Hopefully I'll track down this weekend.

Comment

• AtomicBaby
                            • Jul 2023

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                            I usually run the fuel out when done for the day.
                            On the first start of the day, I hold the prime button and watch the fuel pressure. It jumps around a bit, goes up to about 4, and the needle steadies and I hit the start button. It takes at most 30 seconds. If I primed for *8 minutes* I would be burning up my points and/or coil
                            For safety reasons I made the prime button only work with ignition on.
                            For the second and subsequent starts of the day without running the fuel out the start process takes about 2 seconds with no priming.
                            You must have something wrong like an air leak.
                            Thanks. No luck tracking down air leak this weekend. Given it starts up in a heartbeat as long as not sitting for 2+ days, guessing a minute leak that I'll have to keep tryi g to track down. For now, drop of starter fluid in throat and it fires right up(& runs fine).

Comment

• joe_db
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by AtomicBaby View Post
                              Thanks. No luck tracking down air leak this weekend. Given it starts up in a heartbeat as long as not sitting for 2+ days, guessing a minute leak that I'll have to keep tryi g to track down. For now, drop of starter fluid in throat and it fires right up(& runs fine).
                              Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? You can learn a lot.
                              Also do you have a return line? You can clear air out a lot faster with a fuel return.
                              Joe Della Barba
                              Coquina
                              C&C 35 MK I
                              Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                              X