X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RUSSELL
    • Apr 2011

Holes In Instrument Panel

I have a Moyer instrument panel enclosure and am preparing to install gauges and switches. I will have volt meter, water temperature, oil pressure, ammeter, and tachometer. I foresee a blower switch, ignition on switch, and starter button switch. Finally, I foresee the panel for the Dutton early warning system.

I penciled in the layout on the back of the enclosure panel. How do you go about making the holes? I am little nervous about just pushing forth with hole saw bits on my drill. I don't want to mess up the new enclosure.

Thanks!!
    1978 Catalina 30
  • Easy Rider
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2007

Russell

I'm sure some of the guys here who have done this will soon be on to tell you how they did it. If it was me and I had no advise I would be thinking about placing the new panel face up on a good flat wood surface and secured so it doesn't slip or move around. Lay it out again just to be sure. I would then drill a small pilot hole first and then use the hole saw, not forcing it through or letting it get hot. If you drill from the backside there is a possibility that you could damage the finished surface on the good side. Just my thoughts. Wait until you hear from someone who has actually done it.

Chuck
    Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • May 2010

You've got it. Go slowly, and undersize, and you can always file to fit. If you're concerned at all about layout or technique - get a piece of cheap plywood and try it there first. HD sells 2'x2' project panels of birch ply in 1/8' nominal (3mm). You can test out your hole sizing and gauge mounting with no risk, and get a little practice too.

I found the mounting clamps on the gauges to be the "oops" factor. Make sure you leave enough room center to center for the legs that hang out a bit wider....
      Jeff

sigpic
      S/V Bunny Planet
      1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

Working...
      X