X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taterry
    • Feb 2005

Mechanical fuel pump diaphram

An article in this month's Skinned Knuuckles Magazine has me concerned about the life time of mine..We have had our Ranger 29 with A4 for 8 years and the pump hasn't been touched....is this something to worry about with the gas mit ethanol?
    Terry in Oakland, CA
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Go 4 it

Terry, for what it is worth I have used 1 fuel pump up and am on the rebuilt still and I have had the boat since 1984. There is nothing in the pump that will get hurt by the E-fuel. The problem is collecting any KRAP it develops or breaks loose in the tank out via a good filter. The rebuilt I am using I did from MMI parts at least 10 years ago now. I have a spare electric pump I can patch in for an emergency then I would just rebuild it again as long as parts are available. My personal preferance is the KISS rule and I find the mechanical set-up fit that KREEDO better than the electric, JMHO.
    The pump is easy to rebuild and when re-attaching to the engine use an Allen head cap screw instead of the bolt~~mich-much easier.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Words to live by

Diaphragms make me nervous. Nothing good comes from a failure. Going electric has other benefits. What were we talking about?? (I crack myself up)

But seriously folks, the Coasties require a fuel pump diaphragm failure to pump gasoline into the crankcase rather than outside the engine. If I had a mechanical pump I'd perform regular rebuilds to prevent this occurrence.
      Last edited by ndutton; 02-06-2013, 06:18 PM.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• dvd
        • Dec 2008

I rebuilt my mechanical fuel pump (I don't think it really needed it) and it was very easy. Rebuild kit with full instructions is available at Moyer.
        dvd

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

Electrical and mechanical fuel pumps have the same basic parts - diaphragm to do the pumping, inlet valve, outlet valve.
          But if you ever compare the two, you'll see that the mechanical pump stuff is much more rugged - kinda like comparing a Sherman tank to a VW Beetle. Oh yeah, you can rebuild the mechanical pump.
          Pick whichever one you want - they both work (while they work).

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by dvd View Post
            I rebuilt my mechanical fuel pump (I don't think it really needed it) and it was very easy. Rebuild kit with full instructions is available at Moyer.
            dvd
            +1. I expect this to be a 10 year type of maintenance item. That being said, I have a rebuilt spare on board as well..
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• marthur
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2004

My personal preferance is the KISS rule and I find the mechanical set-up fit that KREEDO better than the electric, JMHO.
              I second this and I like that the mechanical pumps are cheap to maintain. But I am quick to note that people have good results with both. Just make sure that you understand the electrical circuits enough to trouble shoot the electric if you go that route.

Here is a thought: I have a spare pump that needs a rebuild (and one that doesn't). The one needing the rebuild is missing the bail and sediment bowl so I am looking to eliminate them. My thinking is that my fuel filtration is already good enough to do without them. The sediment bowl is a minor source because some of them do not seal well. Seems to me that I recall a thread with this suggestion, but I do not recall the results of the experiment.
              Mike

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

marthur, I think John Cookson had cut one off.
                -Shawn
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                  No I don't think it was me. Don't recall it it anyway. I have an electric fuel pump on my A4. I don't know much about mechanical fuel pumps so I usually don't post in threads on that subject.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• CalebD
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                    I'm pretty sure it was ArtJ who cut the sediment bowl off his fuel pump.
                    Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
                    A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• Al Schober
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jul 2009

Is this the thread you're looking for?

Pump has since been cleaned up, primed & painted, installed, and works fine.

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Nice...thanks for speaking up Al..sorry I couldn't remember & didn't give you credit.

Now that someone else has come back as the guinea pig with positive results...I may try this with my spare pump and see how it works. I had a little issue this summer with a spirting sediment bowl and I would really enjoy eliminating it!
                        Last edited by sastanley; 02-07-2013, 11:16 PM.
                        -Shawn
                        sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jul 2009

Whether or not you're sucessful in that mod depends, I think, on your success in drilling and tapping the old inlet hole for the screw (plug). My casting had enough wall to get that screw in there - doesn't mean yours will.
                          Of course you could just bypass the drill & tap routine, and fill the hole with JB Weld.. If going that route, I'd run a drill in for a ways just to get some clean metal.

Comment

• Blue Eyes
                            • Jun 2010

Mechanical carburetor

The current model is showing its age, resulting in considerable operational failure and extensive maintenance. The several small tubes and parts inside the mechanism seem to contribute to the failures. Would Moyer Marine consider undertaking a simpler redesign of the carburetor? A4 owners would be forever grateful.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                              • Nov 2008

Blue Eyes
                              Are you having problems with crud in the carb? You need to get clean fuel to your carburetor. You will continue to have problems with with any device you use to mix fuel and air until you do.
                              I haven't rebuilt my A4 carb in 10+ years. It is still doing well.
                              My protocol for carb rebuilds and clean up is: Tear down, ream passages, soak in the goop for a couple of days, rinse off, ream passages again, blow out with compressed air. Is this simlar to what you have been doing?
                              Feel free to start a new thread. Be explicit about your carb problems. Maybe I'm missing the message here. Others will chip in too.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
                              X