X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rjm
    • Dec 2008

loose bolt in oil pan

Hi to all I have a 75 catalina 27 with atomic four , I just purchased the boat and the previouse owner had tried to re-adjusted the reverse trans and broke off the flange that the 1/4 20 bolt goes it to align the spline to adjust the clutch plates ,the boat also has a outboard motor , in any case my issue is I managed to turn the tranny around to another lobe and drill and tap a new hole to hold it all together in doing so I needed a longer bolt than the original so I had an extra bolt that was a bit longer and I just filed off the end to allow it to fit in the spline the bolt was made of stainless steel ,In doing so I dropped the SS bolt down in the oil pand and pent the next 3 days trying everything to get it back, short of taking the whole casting apart its still their ,since then I changed the oil twice used wires grabbers ,magnets nothing has worked motor seems to be in good condition good comp paint maint runs great.. pre owner didnt like inboard motors ..any other Ideas
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Good job on remediating the mess your prior owner left for you. Fortunately, there is a small dividing web cast into the bottom of the oil pan between the transmission end and the main part of the crankcase that should prevent your stainless bolt from rolling forward into the engine end of the oil pan.

There is a very neat tool available at many well stocked auto parts stores that involves a set of little spring fingers at the end of a long flexible handle. I believe you press a knob at the top of the tool to spread the fingers and they then spring-load close when you release the knob. I would drain the oil so you can see the bottom of the oil pan, then bend a small hook on the end of a piece of coat hanger and "rake the bottom" of the oil pan under the reversing gear assembly and try to pull the bolt out where you can reach down to retrieve it with the finger tool.

Don

Comment

• rjm
      • Dec 2008

bolt in oil pan

I have tried that with little sucess..was wondering what the chances are that the bolt may cause any damage if left till a total rehab of the motor is needed...I did get the casting chips and lots of grit but no bolt...

Comment

• Don Moyer
        • Oct 2004

I'd rather that the bolt were not there, but I can report that we have found several nuts and bolts lying in the bottom of the transmission area and have never seen any damage result from them.

Don

Comment

• rjm
          • Dec 2008

Bolt in oil pan

Don I took your advise and managed to get the bolt back Your plan worked very well thanks .. Ray

Comment

Working...
          X