X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris T
    • Nov 2004

Preferred Antifreeze

Is there a recommended type of antifreeze used for a FWC Atomic 4 engine?
    Can one use dexcool(orange) or regular antifreeze (green). Thanks
    Chris
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Chris,

Assuming you are referring to fresh water cooled engines, the Atomic 4 doesn't really care. Any good quality automotive permanent antifreeze will work. However, many areas of the country have laws regarding what antifreeze can be used in marine applications. I don't know if the Coast Guard has ruled on types of antifreeze or not. Hopefully someone will weigh in to enlighten us.

Don

Comment

• baileyem
      • Jun 2006

anti freeze

The pink or orange RV anti freeze is not supposed to be used in an enclosed (freshwater) system as it does not have the rust and corrosion inhibitors that a 'regular' ant freeze has. It may have other problems in an enclosed system as well. RV antifreeze does work well, and is recommended for use in a raw water system on an over-winter basis. I like it in my raw water system because I don't have to worry about what to do with the used anti freeze in the spring.

Mike

Comment

• #4 Unapproved
        So Mike,
        Are you saying that RV antifreeze will be useless at inhibiting corrosion when used on a regular basis as a weekly coolant in a raw water system that doesn't require the anti-freeze part of the antifreeze? You see I live in sunny, not-freezing California, and would like to put something in my water jacket besides raw water when I am away from the boat for a week or two. Of course I am using fresh water for now, but would have considered RV antifreeze for longer breaks (1 month, maximum). What are your thoughts?
        Thanks,
        Duncan

Comment

• baileyem
          • Jun 2006

anti freeze

Duncan
          RV anti freeze used on a temporary basis as you suggest, should not be a problem. I do not know about its ability to prevent corosion in your system. No manufacturer of RV anti freeze, that I know of, recommends that it be used in the closed cooling system of a running engine (hot) as a coolant on a long term basis. Its an anti freeze, not a coolant.
          I don't think that you should have any problems with RV anti freeze the way you are using it.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X