X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heinz
    • Sep 2006

follow up to my earlier post regarding no compressions

Things are going from bad to worse. First I had the short in my control panel, then the compression issue in two cylinder and now I found water in the oil.
    I drained the pan a couple of times and based on a lot of comments decided to work on removing the cylinder head to check and probably replace the gaskets.
    I was fortunate that the nuts and in some case the studs came out quite easily but what is the best way to remove the head? I have tried to use a chisel but no luck. I don't want to hit it too hard to cause damage to the head.
    Any comment is greatly appreciated.

heinz
  • Peter
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2016

Heinz,

I read somewhere that someone had used an "old mechanics trick" to loosen a head. Crank the engine with the plugs in and use the compression to loosen it.

I did not have the nerve to try this myself - i pried it off with screw drivers tapped in gently with a hammer.

unfortunately, i discovered a hole in the #3 cylinder wall in my engine...

wondering if others can comment on the advisabilty of the technique?

Peter

Comment

• sandiegomike
      • Jun 2016

I have done this several times and used a screw driver tapped in with a hammer from each end. Once it loosened, I wiggled it up to remove it; all those bolts with a tight fit, makes it take a bit of extra time to get it off.

Comment

• Marian Claire
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2007

heinz: I have found a hive tool to be helpful. But the big thing is to go slow and work around as much of the head as you can a little at a time.

Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

I use a stiff putty knife and tap it into the gasket. I tap it in a bit and then remove and try another spot. After a few spots it will start to break loose and then wide flat larger wedges can easily be wedged in to lift the head off.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• edwardc
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2009

When pulling my head for the first time, all the studs remained in place. This made it extremely difficult to raise the head, as all the studs tended to bind.

One technique I found useful was to spray each stud with Kroil or PBBlaster, then thread a nut loosely on the stud to protect the threads, and tap sideways (gently!) with a hammer all around the circumference of the nut. This helped get the kroil/PBBlaster penetrant to work down in. Then try wedging the edge again. Patience is necessary. It took a LOT of tapping to get the head off the first time.
            @(^.^)@ Ed
            1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
            with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
              • May 2010

What Ed said. Patience. Time. Breathe.

My first head removed was rusted stuck on several head bolts, but especially the two long bolts around the thermostat. I used a lot of PB, over a long period of time. Thread a nut onto the bolt, and tap, tap, tap....

For tools, you need to think wedge. In terms of simple machines, lever is OK, but wedge is much better. For the truly stuck, a stiff putty knife will find the gasket, but not move the head. Screw drivers are too long, too small, too fragile, not useful.

Go to a masonry supply / hardware store, and buy a couple short, 2" wide cold chisels. Grind (if necessary) the working surfaces so that you've got a working edge just thinner than the gasket thickness.

Go to town with a hammer and your two new chisels, making sure the business end of the chisel is firmly in the gasket crack. Once it moves, you can start being careful about machined surfaces inside, but until it moves (all the way around), it's like cracking an oyster.

On the alternator side, you can go pretty deep, and you won't damage the pistons as they are never more than just about flush. On the manifold side, be a little careful as you'll find valve heads if you go too deep.
              Jeff

sigpic
              S/V Bunny Planet
              1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• The Garbone
                • Dec 2013

I bought some butter knives at the dollar store and tapped them into the gasket/seem. Be careful around the valves as they are pretty much the only thing that you can screw up unless you go at it with a ripper gun.
                Gary
                78' Catalina 30 #1179
                www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• heinz
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by The Garbone View Post
                  I bought some butter knives at the dollar store and tapped them into the gasket/seem. Be careful around the valves as they are pretty much the only thing that you can screw up unless you go at it with a ripper gun.
                  Thanks Gary, but what is a ripper gun?

Comment

• romantic comedy
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

wedges, and shims made of wood or plastic. Use the shims or wood shingles you can get in a bunch at HD.

I use a piece off wood (2X2) and hit up at an angle at the head/block joint.
                    I hooked wire to spark plugs and to anything above, or a lever to pry up on these wires.

you dont want to mark or score the mating surfaces. The head can hang up on the studs, so spray that hell out of everything with WD 40 or something slippery.

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                      wedges, and shims made of wood or plastic. Use the shims or wood shingles you can get in a bunch at HD
                      I was thinking the same, no metal tools.
                      The head can hang up on the studs, so spray that hell out of everything with WD 40 or something slippery.
                      Removing the head on my spare engine project a couple of years ago that's exactly what happened to me, the thermostat housing studs (late model). Fortunately the head was elevated off the block enough to bring out my go-to albeit violent tool, a Sawzall. Made quick work of the offending studs, left enough of a stump to extract with vice grips and a torch.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California
                      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                        • May 2010

wedges, and shims made of wood or plastic. Use the shims or wood shingles you can get in a bunch at HD.
                        Each head is different, but with several rusted studs (meaning the stud is rusted and essentially bonded to the hole in the head) my first head laughed at softwood wedges.

Once it was cracked loose, I fully agree, better to move it upward with stacks of softer wedges and avoid scratching the machined surfaces.
                        Jeff

sigpic
                        S/V Bunny Planet
                        1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

Working...
                        X