X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BenCT
    • Nov 2022

Carb connections post cleaning.

I’m cleaning and “rebuilding” my carburetor. When I’m finished, should I put any product on the threads of the various drains and connections to prevent gas leaks? I see some people use tape, I prefer liquid products, but it seems like many people use nothing at all.
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Good thoughts. I do not recommend ever using tape on fuel fittings as bits can get into and clog various orifices in the carb. When applying the paste or sealant try to get as little as possible on the first leading thread(s) that way none can contaminate the inside of the carb. I like using Permatex Aviation grade for the fuel applications as it is easy to control the application. Do not use any type of sealant on any of the internal fittings, dry ONLY. Also none on the drain plug as it has a "gasket ring".

I absolutely recommend you spend a good deal of effort at the float setting to be sure that when the seat is closed the float is paralel with the body of the carb. And my personal recommendation is to lower the float about 1/16 of an inch. This was found by me to create a better balance of the transfer from idle to the hi-speed. This does lean the carb a tiny tiny bit everywhere but not as much as a main jet size.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
    X