• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlanLindquist
    Frequent Contributor
    • Aug 2015

How to get TDC

I know how to find top dead center but in order to do that I need to spin the motor counter clockwise. I don’t have a special tool that goes over the roll pin. Is there another way to spin the motor that people have found that works for them? I tried putting the transmission in forward and turning the propeller shaft at the coupling to the transmission and I am not strong enough to turn it apparently.

The engine is not seized. I am merely changing out the distributor because the centrifugal advance was rusted seized on my current distributor
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

I spun mine by gripping the fan belt and twisting the alt fan. Worked fine but slowly.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• jcwright
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2012

I put a zinc on the prop shaft (inside the boat, near the coupling), then use a pipe wrench on the zinc. You probably already did this, but just in case--it helps to remove the spark plugs.

Comment

• Sam
        Afourian MVP
        • Apr 2010

I took an inexpensive spark plug socket [softer metal] and ground out a couple of slots 180 degrees apart. Use it with a ratchet wrench on the roll pin.

Comment

• AlanLindquist
          Frequent Contributor
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          I took an inexpensive spark plug socket [softer metal] and ground out a couple of slots 180 degrees apart. Use it with a ratchet wrench on the roll pin.
          Best idea yet. Thank you.

And yes the spark plugs are out.

Comment

• splashlog
            • Aug 2019

I've done it with visegrips on the shaft at the flywheel. But then made a tool with tube steel and notching out 2 notches with a grinder. Not pretty, but works fine.

Comment

• AlanLindquist
              Frequent Contributor
              • Aug 2015

I just want to mention that this has been resolved. I was able to cut notch gaps in a three-quarter inch socket and have a handy tool now for setting timing

Comment

Working...
              X