• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Gas in Base Pan / Oil

Yesterday morning had a look at an engine that wasn't running right. He'd had an oil pressure issue about a week ago and installed an inline oil pressure gauge in addition to his electric gauge....they read the same. He changed oil for heavy weight and pressure went back up.

He ordered some parts from MMI because his carb wasn't working right and after installing those, cleaning up the carb in general, there was some improvement but all is not perfect.

So he gives me a call and I have a look...dx took 5 minutes. Upon entering boat I smell a quasi gas smell. No leak found so I check dipstick...high and very clear...not water. I think gas in base pan. Diaphragm leak in mechanical pump is the only way I can see it dumping in fuel like that. I pull the oil filler cap off and take a sniff...gas guaranteed.

So symptoms that were relayed to me:
    -first thing he noticed was carb issues...either fuel loss or air getting into system...I would think more starving.
    -noted drop in oil pressure ...gas getting into oil and thinning viscosity. This would take the engine out after a while. He played with that a few days.
    -odd smell when entering boat (not quite gas, not quiet oil...a mixture)...he figured it was there because he had been working on things.

The repair: happening this am and he's doing it himself.

- So he went and bought an electric fuel pump at NAPA and an Oil Pressure Shut-off .... he paid too much.
    - Make and install plate for area where old mech pump was removed...done yesterday.
    - Oil Change...15w40 and ensure he removes oil from reversing gear cover so that all gas is removed as well. Stressed that he can't leave residual. If he can't do that, do multiple oil changes.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  • Marian Claire
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2007

Good info. Paging Dr Mo. A-4 issue in slip 7.
    Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Make sure to remove the mechanical fuel pump operating rod from the block!

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Also consider the pushrod bushing. The MMI cover plate has a dimple to deal with it. On my spare engine I was able to tap it further in just below flush without encroaching too close to the camshaft. It could be removed too.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Skywalker
          • Jan 2012

Good job, doc.

Last summer, a friend showed up on my boat with a glass jar. He hands it to me and say, "What do you think?"

Nice, clear fluid with a hint of oil pulled when changing his oil. Mechanical pump gone bad.

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Norm has his engine and boat back in service...has been since early last week. All appears to have worked out for him, temps, oil pressure readings are the same as they were prior to having issues.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• lat 64
              Afourian MVP
              • Oct 2008

I don't understand why the mechanical pump was abandoned for an electrical one.
              Was is beyond repair?

Russ
              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Mo
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                I don't understand why the mechanical pump was abandoned for an electrical one.
                Was is beyond repair?

Russ
                Only because he could drive 10 minutes and pick one up an electric pump. He mounted it on a bulkhead off the engine, removed the old one, made a plate and installed it where the old one came off. He'd have been back in operation the next morning only his oil pump didn't work and couldn't use an electrical device due to gas in oil...so he had another trip to the store for an oil extractor and did multiple oil changes on Monday morning and was good to go.
                Mo

"Odyssey"
                1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

Working...
                X