X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryan Howell
    • Oct 2004

Replacing water pump

I am replacing the water pump on my new model A4 with the pump now available from MM. Question. Other than using magical powers, what is the best way to remove the bottom bolt on the pump? There is very little clearance between the pump housing itself and the transmision housing. Will a flexible socket drive extension work? Or a combination of a deep well 9/16 socket, a universal joint, and a short extension? Other ideas?

Thanks.

And thanks to you Don for hosting this site!!!!
  • dowvid
    • Oct 2004

I don't know if it will work but...

I did it a month ago and I just had to pull the transmission lever on reverse position. This gave me clearance enough to put a box and use a wrachet.

Comment

• Dennis L.
      Frequent Contributor
      • Oct 2004

New Cooling Pump

Let me know how you like the new pump. I am very interested in replacing my Oberdorfer pump with this new jewel. I might suggest that you replace that lower bolt with the extended bolt that Moyer offers. Please keep me posted on how things go.

Fairwinds

Comment

• Don Moyer
        • Oct 2004

Hi, Dennis:

We just posted the service and maintenance instructions for the new pump in the same section.

Don

Comment

• Jim McDonnell
          Frequent Contributor
          • Nov 2004

Where can I read the instructions.

Jim

Comment

• Administrator
            MMI Webmaster
            • Oct 2004

Jim:

The posting which included a link to the instructions had been archived 30 days after it was originally posted. I've returned it to active status. Click here to view it.

Comment

• Dave True
              • Nov 2004

Removing water pump

I had to change out my pump. It's a bear to get in there on my boat. I used a 9/16 box end to break the nut and then used the open end to remove it. I had to remove the battery ground wire connected to one of the transmission bolts which was also in the way. Used a short 3/8 drive extender on the 9/16 socket to replace the bolts.
              Last edited by Dave True; 11-24-2004, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• ericson_35
                • Oct 2004

Pump Bolts and other bolts

I can't say enough about putting some kind of anti-sieze like material on the water pump bolts or any other bolts that are exposed to saltwater and/or harsh environs.

I presonally use Duralac, which is an English product used in the aviation industry for assembling metals of differing levels on the noble scale (i.e. stainless into Al.). If it's FAA approved and the airlines use it, it must be pretty good stuff. It's basically a liquidish zinc-chromate goo in a 105 ml tube (or 1 liter can) that remains pliable for years, never totally hardens and unlike anti-sieze, doesn't add another noble metal (nickel) to the mix. I use it many places on the boat such as winch bolts into mast, stainless screws into Al., etc. and they are removable several years later.

I discovered it while in a shipyard in Germany where they used it almost everywhere, pipe fittings, screws, nuts and bolts, etc. It really works well.

I found it in the U.S. through Metropolitan Aircraft Parts out of Long Island NY. It's $25.00 for a 105 ml tube, which will last years.

John M.

Comment

Working...
                X