• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rigspelt
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2008

Sealing stuffing box hose connection?

1. How about using Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket to seal the short piece of hose that couples the stuffing box to the stern tube? I'll be using two SS hose clamps at each end too, of course.

2. Is it easy to remove a hose that has been sealed with Aviation Form-A-Gasket?
    1974 C&C 27
  • rheaton
    • Aug 2005

On my boat, 1978 Catalina 30, the survey said I needed to replace the hose connecting stern tube to stuffing box. Needed to remove coupling from engine, coupling from shaft, and slide shaft back. That was the hard part. Required gear puller. Then replaced hose with hose like used for exaust. Best of luck.

Comment

• sunnnnseeeker
      • Apr 2008

If the boat is out of the water, best to replace the hose. If boat is in the water try anything to stop the leak. Any good sailboat marina sells the replacement hose designed and cut for this application.

Comment

• rigspelt
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2008

I should clarify: The boat is out of the water (year long refit), and I have already removed the prop shaft and stuffing box to check and clean them. My questions are about reinstallation:

(1) Whether to use a hose sealant on the replacement hose like Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket when I install the replacement hose, or just the double clamps.

(2) I also wondered in general how easy it is to disconnect a hose in future that has been sealed with Form-A-Gasket. I've never used the stuff. I see Don likes it, and I found some at Canadian Tire.
        1974 C&C 27

Comment

• rheaton
          • Aug 2005

May I suggest some great resources I have used when I worked on my stuffing box. The first was the Neigal(spelling might be off) boat mechanics guide. The links below also show detail on stuffing box projects. BTW, i did not use any sealant when I replaced my stuffing box hose.

Comment

• sunnnnseeeker
            • Apr 2008

that makes life easy then.....if the surfaces are smooth, sort of, and the hose is new or in good shape, sealant is not necessary, to mess things up. Good luck on your project!

Comment

• David Masury
              • Oct 2004

Instead of using hose clamps... spend a few dollars more and get stainless T-bolt hose clamps. There is no chance of these failing to stay together, Hose clamps will or can spring apart under load. The T-bolt style once you see it will make sense.

I did my stuffing box 12 years ago and no problems

David

Comment

• rigspelt
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2008

Originally posted by David Masury View Post
                Instead of using hose clamps... spend a few dollars more and get stainless T-bolt hose clamps. David
                Can't agree more. I switched to them on my last boat for any hose under water (seacocks, stuffing box) or a large hose on a noxious substance (black water). Example: http://www.endurance-marine.com/servlet/Detail?no=58
                1974 C&C 27

Comment

Working...
                X