• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

Mo,
    Nice fowlies you're wearing in that last photo. But seriously guy, You could use a shave.
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
      Mo,
      Nice fowlies you're wearing in that last photo. But seriously guy, You could use a shave.
      That's as good as it gets for the shave Russ I had the fowlies off at the time this was taken...Melinda must have taken 20 pics of the dog in his fowlies...friggin dog on a boat...as you can see he takes up allot of room.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

...a hint of trouble...

Had another successful 4 day cruise this past weekend. We left on Friday 23rd and motored 25 miles (5 hrs) to Rogues Roost. Only us and one other there and it was quiet. Later that evening I went to turn on the cabin lights and there was nothing NADA working. No lights, no ignition, no chartplotter etc. At this point I started checking wiring and fuses. I didn't know where to start but upon moving wiring on the alternator the cabin lights came on (switch and lights were in on position). Nothing seemed really terribly loose there but I did get about 1/8 turn on one of the hot wires going to the battery...removed all the harness wires and cleaned them up and put them back.Then I email the wizard...Mr Neil Dutton. Who answered my plea for advice within minutes. THANKS NEIL ! Neil pretty much said to do as I did and everything has been fine since. Later mosquitoes the size of helicopters would try to eat us alive...inside and watched a movie..."Captain Ron" .

Saturday 24th I checked my oil and screwed in the raw water pump grease cap. Decided to remove the plugs for a look since I was there...all perfect tan, even 3 and 4. Departed around 1030 and covered 28 nm ... only motored an hour. Sunny, wind NW off the land so no sea running, wind 15 gusting to 20 around the islands.,,beautiful sail. We went to a place called Big Tancook Island in Mahone Bay NS (don't bother..not a muffler on anything in the place and may as well be in a war zone). Too tired to move on so spent the night on the hook.

Sunday, the 25th we motored 1 hour out and the wind came from SE...sailed for another 28 nm to a place called Grovers Cove....very nice there, very quiet. Near the end motored 1 hour through a place called Ryan's Gut and then into Terrance Bay...touchy spot but shaved off an hour going around the head. Departed Tancook 1150 and arrived Grovers Cove with hook down at 1700hrs...great sail.

Monday 26th departed Grovers Cove around noon. Motored out 45 minutes. In retrospect should have left a couple of hours earlier as we ran into building winds with gusts up to 25 kts. 24 nm to home and were tied to the dock @ 1615. Had to beat out of Terrance Bay and it full of rocks and shoals that create these mother of waves...boat did fine but took a while to get out. Once out of the shallow and into deep water a direction change and the boat took off. The boat hit and held 8kts many many times on the way back...just flying...and towing an inflatable. Held over 7 kts near all the way back into Halifax hbr. Very tired after that. Started to rain as soon as I was entering the marina.

Today spent 2 hours cleaning up the boat...where the kids could get chips they had them there...and dog hair all over my A4...all cleaned up now. Didn't add any oil since last oil change, screwed in raw water pump grease cap every couple of hours. Maintenance on this trip was tightening a loose connection and cleaning up after two 12 yr old junk food junkies.

Pics...
        rogues roost (good hurricane hole but have to ensure your are anchored well)
        anchored at tancook island
        leaving grovers cove (that is some hurricane hole)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Mo; 08-31-2013, 05:48 PM.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Lookin' good, MO!
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• JonnyQuest
            • Aug 2010

Good to har the Lil Beastie performed well for you. Nice photos too.
            JonnyQuest
            Boatless right now.
            (Last boat, a fine 27' O'Day 1975)
            MS Gulf Coast

Comment

• Mo
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by JonnyQuest View Post
              Good to har the Lil Beastie performed well for you. Nice photos too.
              For anyone that's interested this is my general routine. It is a very rare thing that I have issues with the engine in summer time when the boat is in the water.

Mo

"Odyssey"
              1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Mo
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2007

Great White in NFLD where I grew up.

Originally posted by Mo View Post
                Been down there Sony...a few years back. There's a little spot called Aspotagon...real nice to anchor or grab a mooring but there are no stores or anything...just a small fishing village. Not sure where we will go this weekend but will have something in the works. Weather is not looking great for Saturday but it is what it is...Sambro at the very least.

Mahone Bay and LaHave are great spots but you need a full week to 10 days to do it right. It's about 10 hrs down one way and just too much for a weekend. My wife has a 3 day weekend coming up again so we will likely spend it on the boat. We heard a commotion on the radio re: Great White on Saturday. Just a mention on channel 16 ... wind was howling at the time and we were on our way back in...the shark incident was about 10 miles from where we were at the time. When I made it back into sheltered Prospect I was met on the dock by a couple of old friends...they had already heard about the "shark attacking a fishing boat"....turns out the real story was a little different.

Edit: I might take off early Friday morning and head further down and haul it in someplace. Melinda and kids could drive down and meet the boat...that's the other option.
                Great White (tagged Lydia) makes it to Placentia Bay Newfoundland.

For the record I went on my last over-nighter on the boat for this season last Saturday. Temp was pretty cool and a parka and gloves had to be worn. Sailed out to the "sisters", a bunch of rocks near Sambro Island, Nova Scotia. Wind started out WNW as we left the club but within and hour had veared SW with a bit of a vengeance. Proceeded on out to the sisters to have a look and see what the sea state was like at Sambro. In the couple of hours since the wind veared the seas churned up and we were taking copious amounts of spray off the dodger. Common sense prevailed and we had 3 choices for alternates....Wreck Cove, Downtown Halifax, or Sambro Harbour. Since we had a deteriorating forecast and a stiff 25 kt breeze in the direction of home we headed back for Halifax. Just after dark we hauled in downtown at " bishops landing" and tied one on. 2 bottles of rum later it was all over but the crying. Next morning lined up at the door of an un-opened "Tim Hortons" coffee shop wondering why they weren't open at 6am....I guess someone slept in....headed home around 8 am and slept the majority of the day....such is the life of a sailor....

The three die hards....

Terry holding the beer...Terry is a physician that needed a night with the boys.
                Me wearing my orange work coat...always at large these days.
                George in the companionway...there's a good sailor. Last year he skippered a boat that won their class in Newport to Bermuda Race.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Mo; 10-28-2013, 08:37 PM.
                Mo

"Odyssey"
                1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• edwardc
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2009

Oh my God, that photo of George had me thinking I was looking at a mirror!

Sounds like a great "last overnighter" for the season!
                  @(^.^)@ Ed
                  1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                  with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Mo
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2007

You don't look bad like him Edward...LOL. He's a great guy, just retired last year. He's taken on the sailor look since he's retired...LOL. I have another friend that retired a LCol last year...he looks like a hippy...and of course is a sailor as well.
                    Mo

"Odyssey"
                    1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Marian Claire
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Aug 2007

Best place I could come up with to post this. Hope you do not mind Mo. MC's short trip. http://neuseriversailors.com/Sailing...n_Pamlico.html
                      Some good story's on this site.
                      Dan S/V Marian Claire
                      PS. Working on the MC's trip to the Chesapeake.

Comment

• Mo
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jun 2007

Nicely Done Dan

Very nicely done Dan. Makes a guy feel like he was along for the ride. Boats looks great by the way. I like the way her bow slopes upward...good sea boat.
                        Last edited by Mo; 11-15-2013, 07:43 AM.
                        Mo

"Odyssey"
                        1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Marian Claire
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Aug 2007

Thanks Mo. I give Paul the basics and he does the rest. Having the link to the chart is useful. His story Intermodal and his review of the Georgetown Wooden Boat Show are good examples of his writing.
                          The MC is built from a design by Charles Wittholz. There is a cool story about the history of the boats builder, second owner and my time with her. The clipper bow is not often seen on a 30' boat. I have read that it makes the planking easier. It also helps with my homemade bow roller keeping the anchor away from the hull as I raise it. There are some more pics of the MC in the Photographs section of NRS.
                          Dan S/V Marian Claire
                          Last edited by Marian Claire; 11-15-2013, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• Mo
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jun 2007

Very Nice Dan, I didn't see your post until now. Very well done!!
                            Mo

"Odyssey"
                            1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

Working...
                            X