X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HappyFeet
    • Jun 2009

Mechanic in SW Florida

I am looking for a good A-4 mechanic in the Fort Myers area. I was out motoring when I noticed smoke coming from the cabin. I lifted the lazerette and smoke came pouring out. I turned the key off as well as the battery switch but the engine kept running for about a minute before quitting.
    I went back out this morning and it started right up but I was afraid to leave it running. I just had marina replace the alternator and build new battery cables the day before. I don't know if the two events are connected but I am sure the marina would say they weren't.
    Any suggestions? Thanks.
    John
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

John-
    I can't help you with a mechanic recommendation, but the fact that your A4 kept running after turning off the power to it suggests there is something wrong related to the recent alternator work that was done. Possibly a short happening at the "S" terminal of the starter?
    If you don't have luck with anyone suggesting another mechanic in your area, I would suggest asking the marina to at least come and check their work for the short...

Another option to consider is to possibly post more details for us and if you're willing to dive in, some of the experts here will gladly talk you thru solving this yourself.
    (Very fulfilling AND you'll know the work is done right!)

In any case, please keep us updated...
    -Jerry
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• HappyFeet
      • Jun 2009

Thank you for your help. Turns out it was a leak in the water pump hose that caused the smoke and the engine overheated which caused it to keep running for a bit after I turned off the key. There didn't seem to be any internal engine damage because it started later. Doesn't seem connected to the work the marina did on the alternator (darn).
      Again, thanks for your input.
      John

Comment

Working...
      X