X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gpd955
    • Apr 2006

Reversing gear and forward gear

Last year I had no reverse and with Don's help was able fix it and have a great sailing season. A few weeks ago, I moved the boat to her normal summer berth with no problems.

Yesterday, while heading out, she came out of reverse when I was about halfway out of the slip. That was about the time when the wind decided to kick up and I got blown out the rest of the way. I tried to put the boat in forward....no go.....then reverse.....same deal. I struggled to get it going while my crew and a few helpful dockmates were able to keep me off of the other boats and get me into an empty slip.

I opened the box and made some significant adjustments to the reversing gear, was able to get her running again. The retaining screw was secure when I fixed it last year and when I opened it up this time as well.

Now the question....Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening? Is there something sinister going on inside that box or does it need routine adjustments?

Thanks!
    Jack Manning
    S/V Victim of Fate
    Atlantic City, NJ
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Jack,

It's completely normal to have to hold the transmission in reverse. In terms of what to do to prevent a recurrence, it would help if we knew what you actually did during your significant adjustment. You're correct to assume that if forward was properly adjusted last year, it should be OK this year.

Don

Comment

Working...
    X