X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steveas0321
    • Aug 2013

12volt soleniod valve

I'm thinking about putting in a 12volt solenoid valve (normally closed) on the thru-hull for the cooling system. Usually have to manually open and close a ball valve every time we used the boat as it stays in the slip all the time.

I would wire the solenoid valve to the ignition switch so that when the ignition is on the valve opens. Ignition off.... valve closes. No more reaching across a hot engine to turn it off at the end of a day sail.

Thoughts? Agree/disagree
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

I never ever leave my boat with any below the water line thru hull open.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
      I never ever leave my boat with any below the water line thru hull open.
      What about your cockpit drains?

Comment

• romantic comedy
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

Mine are above the water line. Are not yours?

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by steveas0321 View Post
          I'm thinking about putting in a 12volt solenoid valve (normally closed) on the thru-hull for the cooling system. Usually have to manually open and close a ball valve every time we used the boat as it stays in the slip all the time.

I would wire the solenoid valve to the ignition switch so that when the ignition is on the valve opens. Ignition off.... valve closes. No more reaching across a hot engine to turn it off at the end of a day sail.

Thoughts? Agree/disagree
          I've been working at it Stever...should know how it works next year when I go in the water.

My thread with pics is here;

Last edited by 67c&ccorv; 08-27-2013, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• Marian Claire
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2007

Count me as a "Disagree". With something as important, both running and while parked in the slip, as the RW intake I want to touch, feel, check, observe, bless etc it every time I use it. KISS. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• roadnsky
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

What happens if you have a NO START situation?
              -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
              sigpic
              1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Carl-T705
                • Jul 2011

Is it really that much of a chore to open and close a valve manually? Everything on a boat will fail, automatic stuff fails sooner than manual stuff. Wiring this to the ignition means more of a drain on the battery when you're trying to run the starting motor and supply enough electricity to the ignition. It's recommended to open the valve after the engine starts and not while cranking the starter.

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Carl-T705 View Post
                  Is it really that much of a chore to open and close a valve manually?
                  If you've followed the discussions about tried and true battery switches vs. automatic charging relays and isolators, apparently it IS that much of a chore.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • May 2010

Manual and Simple

I've frankly always been a bit confused by this - I can't imagine my water pump could put out SO much water as to back flood an exhaust manifold. I'd have to crank for minutes! I guess it's happened, but it's hard to believe.

I pulled the HV coil wire off the distributor, and cranked for 30 seconds to look at water flow out of the pump. I was less than impressed.

So, ALL thru hulls OFF when I leave the boat. Gas OFF. My cockpit drains are hard, E.G. 1/2" wall fiberglass tubes permanently installed.

Hop on the boat, turn on blower and VHF breakers, check the bilge, open gas, open raw water. Start. Begin slowly overheating....

Caveat: I have a double jacket exhaust that won't back up, but still, the pump is only rated about 6GPM at 1000RPM....

Edit: And I'm guilty of having an automatic charging relay, but I do have a manual switch too.
                    Last edited by BunnyPlanet169; 08-27-2013, 09:57 PM. Reason: Full disclosure
                    Jeff

sigpic
                    S/V Bunny Planet
                    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

Working...
                    X