Pertronix Install - do I have a problem with the magnetic ring ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dman535
    • Nov 2008

Pertronix Install - do I have a problem with the magnetic ring ?

When putting things back together - the rotor was not seating down as far as it should. I took a socket and tapped the magnetic ring down a bit and it broke off the very top collar. Is this going to cause a problem? Can I bench test the unit before installing to make sure everything works ?

• Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

As long as the magnetic ring is still very tight on the shaft and will not move up or down, it should be perfectly OK. You can test it to make sure if you wish.

Don

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

dman.. I did the same thing this winter and busted the collar on the magent of my nice fresh electronic ignition.

As Don mentioned, it should be Ok...I carefully pried (yanked) the magnet off and reset it and tried to simulate the proper location assuming the collar wasn't broken and the engine fired right up.

P.S.> Nice pic..that's exactly what mine looked like, except I was so mad I could not hold the camera still enough to take a picture
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• rheaton
        • Aug 2005

If you end up needing a new one, I have one, and could send it to you. When I installed mine, I cross wired my igniter and fried it. Had to buy a new one. Ouch.

Comment

Working...
        X