X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLACKBIRD2
    • Jun 2016

Pulling Reduction tranny,From Motor

Im in the process of swapping motors, The new motor does not come with the 2;1 reduction tranny,so i will have to separate,from the old motor, does anyone have any tips or advice on this procedure,Thanks in advance,
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

The key to this job is to remove the reduction gear AND transmission (rotating parts) from the old engine and use them with the new engine. This is because the tailshafts on the transmissions are different, and changing the tailshafts is hard. Easier to swap the transmission, which will then mate with the reduction gear.

Comment

• BLACKBIRD2
      • Jun 2016

Thanks Al

How hard is that job?

Comment

• marthur
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2004

It is easy if you are swapping the entire reversing gear. In the boat access might make it a little harder.

You want to swap the entire reversing gear to avoid having to dissasemble it.
        Mike

Comment

• Administrator
          MMI Webmaster
          • Oct 2004

Don never did a set of instructions for removing and replacing a reduction gear assembly, but he says this attachment for removing and replacing his direct drive reversing gear should give you most of what you need to know to get your reversing gear swapped out. You should then be able to figure out how to bolt and unbolt the reduction gear part of your assembly.

Bill
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Administrator; 12-04-2017, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• BLACKBIRD2
            • Jun 2016

Weight

If i were to leave the tranny attached,to the motor how much added weight would that add?

Comment

• lat 64
              Afourian MVP
              • Oct 2008

I think you mean: "How much does the reduction gear weigh?"
              It would add maybe 15 to 25 pounds(?) It's kind of hard to take off in the cramped boat. I left mine on.

A fully-dressed engine is around 350 Lbs.

Photo of me hauling mine out here:

Three old guys lifted it into a chevy astro van that day.

Russ
              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Al Schober
                Afourian MVP
                • Jul 2009

I think the reduction gear is more like 40-50 lbs. marthur would be able to give you the actual weight.
                You're considering doing without the reduction gear? What kind of boat is this? My thought is that if the boat came with a reduction gear, it probably needs it.

Comment

• BLACKBIRD2
                  • Jun 2016

Thanks Al,,and Lat64

The boat is a 1971 charley morgan 38 hull #68,,original equipment is the 2;1 reduction gear ,since the motor has water in the oil, and is frozen ,im afraid the reduction gear sharing the same oil, (and water) might have screwed up the gears,and since im doing a replacement motor, might as well, do the reduction gear,

Comment

• lat 64
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
                    I think the reduction gear is more like 40-50 lbs. marthur would be able to give you the actual weight.
                    You're considering doing without the reduction gear? What kind of boat is this? My thought is that if the boat came with a reduction gear, it probably needs it.
                    Yea, I think you're right. I just remember that I did not want to drop it on my toe.
                    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• marthur
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2004

The reduction gear itself is not overly heavy, about 20 lbs. For that weight, it is incredibly robust. The gears and bearings would easily handle many times the horsepower of the atomic 4.
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X