• Sep 2009

Joe, Neil

Does the filter fit the Racor top assembly or do they have a different

top assembly available?

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

That filter is the "Mercury" size and does not fit any Racor top that I had. I replaced the whole thing.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• ArtJ
        • Sep 2009

I have seen the 18-7945 filters as low as $5.86 on line. Apparently, Sierra has a variety of different filters and caps. The cap like in your picture
        (with 1st filter ) is around $35 total.

Best
        Art

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I'm not advocating it as the filter everyone should use. It was on the boat when I bought it and I liked the idea of regular canister and sealing gasket replacement so I stayed with it. Performance has been so good that I mounted an identical filter on my Zodiac inflatable for its 25 HP Yamaha 2 stroke, kept it when the Yamaha was replaced with a 20 HP Honda 4 stroke.

Same filter cartridge for both simplifying shelf inventory.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ArtJ
            • Sep 2009

Maybe a good alternate option for MMI to carry this ?

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

I wouldn't go there Art. MMI thoroughly analyzes and tests their products to be what they feel is the best for our engines. If they recommend the Racor, you'll be hard pressed to find a better filter on your own.

As for me, I'm a cheap, scrounging S.O.B. so the filter that came with my boat, selected by the previous owner, will remain until it gives me a reason it shouldn't. One single failure attributable to its manufacture or design and it's over the side, a one strike policy with such things. Like I said in my earlier post, I don't advocate it for everyone. Just because mine is adequate does not make it optimal.

As an example of the above. I have three tired Oberdorfer pumps that I've rebuilt several times. The seals, shafts, impellers and gaskets are all replaceable but the body cavities are all worn which affects performance and is something I can't do anything about beyond hand facing the pump body (which I have done). There's the one strike so my engine has a brand new MMI 502 flange pump.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

OTOH I sent my Racor to the dumpster. It had MORE issues than the cheap filters and cost 3 times as much
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                X