• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Spark, Fuel, Compression

Disconnect the wire at coil-. With the points closed lay an ohm meter on this wire and the distributor breaker plate. S\B zero ohms. Now open the points and test again as before with the ohm meter. S\B an open circuit. Reconnect the wire to coil - and power up the coil. Pull the center lead out of the distributor and hold it close to the engine to ground. Flick the points open and let them snap close to check for spark. Finally attach a spark plug to a wire, hold it close to the engine and check for spark while someone cranks the engine. You now have spark.
    Is the choke all the way closed? Are the plugs wet with fuel after no start cranking? How's the compression?
    I'd disconnect the alternator for now. It sounds like it is confusing the no start issue.
    Have fun!

TRUE GRIT
    Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 10-14-2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I am not getting the reference to the regulator
      Sure if it does not work correctly the batteries will go dead eventually, but that does not sound like what is happening. Other than that, why is the regulator involved in this and where is this 6 volt measurement being done?
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• pdecker
        • Jan 2005

Solved: it was the points!!

The marina manager loaned me an old outboard motor repair manual that had some tests you could do to test your coil and points. I determined the coil was good, and the points failed their tests. I bought a new set for $5 and it started right up!!

Thanks everyone for your help. I was ready to buy a new carb or alternator, or worse. I'll be underway in the morning.

Phil
        S/V Catmandu
        1982 Catalina 27 tall rig

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Ok.cool..thanks for the update.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• Whippet
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2012

test procedure?

Originally posted by pdecker View Post
            I determined the coil was good, and the points failed their tests.
            The prior posts to your thread discussed a coil test - and all sounds logical.

But can you please summarize the POINTS test you used. I just want to make sure i got it straight how to isolate points from other no-start causes.
            Steve
            Etobicoke YC, C&C27
            A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

Working...
            X