X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m_galligan
    • Jul 2006

Cutlass bearing and Stuffing box

"cutlass" yields no matches in the Moyer marine on line catalog. Does Moyer sell a cutlass bearing? I need 4" x 1" (shaft) x 1-1/4" od. I know a local source, but want the Moyer price.

Also, since the shaft is out, I'd like to replace the stuffing box at the same time. Does Moyer have the hose to go over a ceramic part glassed into the hull, the steel threaded tube, the locking nut and the packing nut?

And finally, is it "cutless" or "cutlass"?

-Marty
    -Marty Galligan, Carlisle, MA
    1976 Catalina 27 "Kookaburra" #2613
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

I don't believe Moyer Marine stocks these items. Two places I know of
    local to you are Scandia Propeller in fairhaven Mass and New England
    Propeller near Dorchester or Weymouth

Regards.

Comment

• tenders
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

It's technically Cutless, and Cutless is a brand name. They are laughably overpriced at West Marine -- see this as another source, then search Froogle.com and you might do even better.

Looks like you need a "Blackfish." My boat has a 3/4" shaft and uses a Barracuda.

My source for packing gland hoses is Defender. Their prices on the bronze parts are probably good too. Whaddya mean, steel threaded tube? Bronze perhaps? I'd replace the whole thing if I were you.

Comment

• wlevin
        • Nov 2006

Marty
        I did very well dealing with Scandia Prop. in Fairhaven. I bought cutless bearings for two replacements I've done (one on a Tartan 27 and the other on our T34). Very good place. They also made me a new prop shaft for not too much.
        Bill and Jeanne
        T34C #453
        Otter

Comment

• dvd
          • Dec 2008

I just had mine replaced at I believe it was replaced with a "bloater bearing". The actual cost was about $75.00 for the bearing itself. I had the yard remove the old one and install the new one.

DVD

Comment

Working...
          X