X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msauntry
    • May 2008

Mounting rubber?

My A4 is directly mounted to a premade fiberglass bed (1962 Pearson Alberg 35). I believe I read somewhere that they originally had a hard rubber "gasket" between the bed and the engine.

Does anyone else have this type of hard mount? Tritons of the same vintage I think had the same bed, but other manufacturers may have done similar things. What material (if any) have you used to replace this gasket?

Thanks,
    Micah
  • jhwelch
    • Dec 2005

My engine is also directly bolted to a fiberglass support.

If your motor is properly aligned at the moment you don't want to add
    any extra items like rubber pieces under it--it would put the alignment
    out of kilter.

The A4 runs very smoothly so even with mine mounted the way it is
    I have very little vibration.

-jonathan

Comment

• adab1402
      • Mar 2007

motor mts

or you could spend 3-400.00 at west marine on motor mts it depends on your alignment issues and you vibration comfort level .om my cal 29 i use the mts .fair winds adab1402

Comment

• msauntry
        • May 2008

Thanks for the inputs. I'll store this project for later. The fiberglass mount makes it impossible to install normal engine mounts. I'll have to cut them out and put in probably a hardwood bed and glass it over. This will have to be at a lower level to account for the mounting feet.

By the way, I googled "atomic 4 engine mounts" and found some around $30 each.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

What size of rubber do you need? I use a hard rubber pad for my outboard motor (on a fibreglass freighter canoe). These pads are about 8`X8`X one quarter inch and made to support railway tracks when they are laid on bridges and similiar structures.

They don't deflect much, stand up to U/V (and trains!) yet, smooth out the vibes from the motor to the hull.

If you know anyone in the railway industry they may be able to get you a set - thay are not expensive and are usually laying in piles anywhere there is a B&B (bridges & buildings) depot on the railway.

Comment

• msauntry
            • May 2008

That's sounds like what I need. I'll keep my eyes peeled and my knife ready next time I'm hanging out under the tracks... which is always good advice even if you're not there for engine mounting pads for an atomic 4

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by msauntry View Post
              That's sounds like what I need. I'll keep my eyes peeled and my knife ready next time I'm hanging out under the tracks... which is always good advice even if you're not there for engine mounting pads for an atomic 4
              You will need a power saw to cut them - a knife won't cut it.

Comment

• msmith10
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2006

C&Ccorv,
                I've been looking for some hard rubber to make mast wedges and it sounds like these track cushions you describe may work. What do you think?
                Mark Smith
                1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

Hope I don't sound too stupid, but what exactly does a mast wedge do?

Comment

• Dave O
                    • Nov 2007

On my boat the mast is stepped through the deck and rests on the keel. The wedges (mine are wood) are used at the point of entry where the mast penetrates the deck. The hole in the deck has a diameter which is greater than the mast, and the wedges keep the mast from moving side-to-side.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dave O View Post
                      On my boat the mast is stepped through the deck and rests on the keel. The wedges (mine are wood) are used at the point of entry where the mast penetrates the deck. The hole in the deck has a diameter which is greater than the mast, and the wedges keep the mast from moving side-to-side.
                      Depending how large they have to be - I think they would do the job.

Comment

• julian hood
                        • May 2006

Rubber pads

I've seen people cut out the sidewalls of old tires to make pads. It is not easy but I have seen it done,

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by julian hood View Post
                          I've seen people cut out the sidewalls of old tires to make pads. It is not easy but I have seen it done,
                          Trust me, a tire sidewall does not a track pad plate make!

Comment

• lat 64
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Oct 2008

I used bright orange roller skate wheels for my new installation.
                            They are tough urethane. just push out the little sealed bearing and slide it in.
                            or as in the photo you could use after market car suspension bushings.
                            I just had these in for the shipping cradle but I'm sure they would work.
                            I don't have a pic of the roller skate wheels but it looks similar. just bigger.

Russ
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

Working...
                            X