• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2016

Is there a “slip” mechanism in the reversing gear

Hi all,

Had a mishap where a job sheet got wrapped around the prop. Before I clued in to what had happened I put the engine in forward gear, applied throttle, revs increased but no drive. There was maybe 30 seconds of this before the penny dropped.

Keen snorkeler in family cleared line from prop today. They reported that all looked ok under water and when they turned the prop the shaft and engine coupler also turned.

So, started things up, put into gear and all seemed normal. Went for a test run and all worked as normal.

I am wondering what was “slipping” when I had the engine in gear with the line around the prop? Is there a “clutch” in the reversing gear that was slipping? Should I be concerned about the reversing gear?

Thanks,

Peter
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

The reversing gear has one band clutch for reverse which must be held in tension to turn the prop. In forward there is a set of clutches that must be locked into the detent to turn the prop under power.

The detent holds the clutches locked in forward and the reversing band requires tension by the operator.

Can you feel the detent locking when you shift to forward, it takes ore pressure than one may think.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Peter
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2016

Oh yes I feel the detention.

Reverse was ok on the test as well.

P

Comment

Working...
      X