• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

Distributor Fuzz

Well I'm putting all the decorations on my engine in anticipation of completion and test fire.
    But first I took the Distributor completely apart. I found this weird fuzz under the plastic oil shield that sits under the flyweight plate. At first I thought this was a decomposed felt gasket or a sponge-like oiler for the shaft, but it just looks like built up debris. It was built up tight against the plastic insert, not down in the pockets. I'm guessing at this point it is lint that has come from all over the engine and got somehow stuck to the plastic. Maybe I have an accidental electrostatic oil filter in my distributor! If this is so then at least we know that a good volume of oil is run through the distributor shaft.
    The photo shows the plastic shield out and the fuzz from the area that looks like wheel spokes.

Mr Bun says he knows nothing about the fuzz. He protesteth much, methinks.

russ
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lat 64; 02-23-2009, 03:23 PM. Reason: spellin
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  • msmith10
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2006

My guess is that you're right about it being a shaft oiler. I've seen felt pads used for that. Post some photos when it's back together and in the boat.
    Mark Smith
    1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• Russ Dreikorn
      • Feb 2009

Distributor Fuzz

I believe the fuzz you found is the reminants of a felt washer that belongs under the plastic cap. I've made then using heavy felt.

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

purpose?

SO...what does the felt washer do? Does it keep oil from sliding up the shaft and getting flung around?

Mr. Bun needs to go to distributor school!
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
          SO...what does the felt washer do? Does it keep oil from sliding up the shaft and getting flung around?

Mr. Bun needs to go to distributor school!
          The washer is soaked in oil and then inserted under the plastic washer - it helps to lubricate the upper shaft of the distributor and the points mechanism above it.

(Subject, of course to Don's expertise!)

Comment

• lat 64
            Afourian MVP
            • Oct 2008

Fuzz

Thanks guys.
            With the response I got from you all, I decided to go down to the ol' Electric rebuilders shop. You remember, the guys with dark shop in the bad part of town? He said the same thing and gave me a blank piece of "official" felt. It looks just like dryer lint that is stuck together. Now I owe him a coffee.

getting close to start day,

Russ

Comment

• msauntry
              • May 2008

Any guesses on what type of oil to soak it with now? Ha, ha, it never ends!

I'm guessing its a special distributor oil that's only available by the gallon and by special order from some guy's basement that bought the last remaining stocks of it in the 80's.

Regular engine oil will certainly destroy all your hard work and cause your distributor to run backwards.

Comment

• lat 64
                Afourian MVP
                • Oct 2008

oil

Whale oil. But only from beasts from the Austral latitudes. You see, my distributor spins clockwise. Anything else would be counter-cyclonic.

Time to reef. The glass is falling on this thread.
                Russ

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

Mmo!

Given the rich history of MMO's ability to keep these motors running, I think I'd coat it in Marvel Mystery Oil.

And I guess I'd better check to see if I have some kind of felt lubricating washer in my distributor
                  -Shawn
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Jan 2007

felt

Russ, I think the felt was used to collect any oil that seeped up through the dist. shaft so it wouldn't rtide up the shaft and spray all over the electrical under the cap. It's been a long time since I had mine broken down that far but I think I remember a drain hole under the felt as well. Not to sure about the drain so if you find one in there coiuld you please advise?

David

Comment

• lat 64
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Oct 2008

drain

Yes,
                      Down in between the "spokes" there are two drain holes.

r

Comment

• rigspelt
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2008

Distributor lubrication

I scoured the Internet couple of months ago for advice about distributor lubrications when I buffed up the flyweights. Here are what various authorities recommended for either the flyweights and/or the felts:

Engine oil.
                        Clean synthetic motor oil.
                        Lightweight 20W non-detergent engine oil.
                        Machine oil.
                        Light oil.
                        Automatic tranny fluid.
                        No lubrication on the flyweights, to prevent dust sticking to them.
                        On the MMI forums, the suggestion was to use a light dusting of MMO on the flyweights.

As usual, the advice is all over the map. Given who suggested light MMO on the flyweights, I did that. I am not sure I would use MMO on the felt, since it is designed to clean, and I would prefer light machine oil that lubricates long term.
                        1974 C&C 27

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

Sounds good rigspelt. Machine oil (i am thinking sewing machine here) would probably be better. I was being slightly sarcastic about MMO, which as usual doesn't show up well on the Internet.

I should probably pull my dizzy apart and inspect it..that is one area I haven't really messed with since it seemed to be in OK shape, but I might as well.
                          -Shawn
                          sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                            • Jan 2007

Lube oil

Gentlemen, if you want a good lubricating oil for the "weight pivots" and the "slides" they sit on what you need is an oil that stays put BUT is not really a heavy grease. I have screwed around with distributors for most of my life and have had really good results. It's been 5 years since I have changed my A-4 Ign. cap and last month when I did everything still moved freely and very little sign of rust. The oil I have always used is a machine oil for lubricatig sliding and pivoting machinery parts. It is a very "STICKY" oil with a fairly heavy viscosity and excellent stay in there properties. The oil is often called "Way lube" and is classified as a "Vistac" grade. I get mine from Chevron in 5 gallon pales and it may be available in industrial supply places, ask for "way lube" and they may have it in quarts or pints. I'm guessing that it is about a 50wt. oil and when you put a drop on your fingers and spread them apart the oil actually "webs" between them. The only oil I know of from a hardware type store that has any "Vistac" qualities but is a lot lighter wt. is "3-In One oil" of which one of the three is a "Vistac" type as it does "Web" slightly. It's really good on bicycle chains and skates as it stays in there better than most. Staying power is good and it doesn't take but a drop or two.

David E-35MkII 1970 original A-4 still a ticken!!!!

Comment

• Dromo
                              • Mar 2008

After pondering your thread about oil on the felt, I would assume that this is more for air than a lubricant felt. I can't see why someone would design something with such an internal maintenance feature. I would assume that this is a piece of felt to keep dirt out. The drain holes you referred to in the spoked area might be for air flow. I would think that the accessory gear would create some kind of air compression. As far as a lubricant is concerned, I would use a light Lithium grease on the weights the kind you get from a cycle/bicycle shop. Oil attracts dust and dirt. I plan to use standard points on mine and when the time comes that I change my points, I will service my distributor with a little bit of lithium grease.
                              It's a wild guess regarding the felt

WOW! was I wrong ! After taking my distributor apart, I found that I also had the same fuzzy stuff. It almost looks like some kind of packing material to hold the oil for the bushing. It's also obvious that by oiling that little piece of felt under the rotor cap, the oil would run down the shaft onto the weights and then down to the fuzzy stuff. I think 3in1 oil would work best here.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Dromo; 02-28-2009, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X