• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • funkyculley
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jul 2023

Engine won't start, air exhaust after crank

A4 engine in Ericson 29 won't start, despite running brilliantly just three days ago.

Last Friday I conducted kaminsky modification to replace a snapped brake band reversing bar, I had shopvac to suck up dust when I was drilling in and then used a magnet on a rod afterwards to try to clean out any shrapnel that may have made its way in. I took her out Sunday and ran her at the dock Tuesday while aboard, so I'm not sure the recent modification is relevant but my gut tells me it may.

I've gone through basic troubleshooting in the Moyer manual; compression seems good all around, strong spark from coil, and fuel is pumping in.

I have noticed that after releasing the ignition I can hear air being released from the oil fill (or at least that general vicinity from what I can tell).

I pumped out oil prior to Kaminsky method and added new oil afterward (30w as recommended) but I'm considering draining it again to see if anything is suspended in it and then clean out the drive train again to get any detritus that may have fallen during the drilling process.

any insight/knowledge would be very much appreciated, I'm by no means a mechanic

**edit for context: Cleaned fuel tank in spring; installed new fuel pump in spring; installed electronic ignition from indigo in spring; spark plugs, wires, and coil are all <8 months old and in visibly good condition
    Last edited by funkyculley; 09-22-2023, 06:56 PM. Reason: extra context
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by funkyculley View Post
    A4 engine in Ericson 29 won't start, despite running brilliantly just three days ago.

Last Friday I conducted kaminsky modification to replace a snapped brake band reversing bar, I had shopvac to suck up dust when I was drilling in and then used a magnet on a rod afterwards to try to clean out any shrapnel that may have made its way in. I took her out Sunday and ran her at the dock Tuesday while aboard, so I'm not sure the recent modification is relevant but my gut tells me it may.

I've gone through basic troubleshooting in the Moyer manual; compression seems good all around, strong spark from coil, and fuel is pumping in.

I have noticed that after releasing the ignition I can hear air being released from the oil fill (or at least that general vicinity from what I can tell).

I pumped out oil prior to Kaminsky method and added new oil afterward (30w as recommended) but I'm considering draining it again to see if anything is suspended in it and then clean out the drive train again to get any detritus that may have fallen during the drilling process.

any insight/knowledge would be very much appreciated, I'm by no means a mechanic

**edit for context: Cleaned fuel tank in spring; installed new fuel pump in spring; installed electronic ignition from indigo in spring; spark plugs, wires, and coil are all <8 months old and in visibly good condition
    Did you change or move ANYTHING related to fuel or spark?
    When you say you get a good spark, do you mean from the coil or at the plugs?
    If you haven't checked the spark at the plugs, you should do so.

Try the following:
    Shut the fuel off.
    Shut the water off.
    Take the plugs out and make sure they are clean and dry.
    Squirt a little (not a lot!) of ether in each cylinder.
    Replace the plugs and try to start the engine. It should run briefly on the ether.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

That will work.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I