X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sailwood
    • Dec 2004

early or late model?

My A4 is ser#UJ170492. The Universal Motors parts list states serial # 79475 thru 170508 is new style. However, the dist is Prestolite and the manual clearly states that my ser# had a Delco. The oil breather is aft. The engine is also reported to be 1978. It originally had a mechanical fuel pump. Starter is Prestolite MBG 4129. Any clues? Is this engine possibly a combination of several others?

Help is always appreciated, thank you

Doug Soden
    C29 131 ASPEN
  • rgoff
    • Oct 2004

I don't have my serial number written down here at home. However, I have a 1973 Ericson 27 with the original A4 and it's a late model. Therefore, a 1978 early model doesn't seem reasonable.

Good luck in '05,
    Ralph
    1973 Ericson 27, "Hog Time"

Comment

• Don Moyer
      • Oct 2004

Doug,

If, by "oil breather aft", you mean that there is no oil fill tube in front of the engine over the flywheel housing, then everything you're describing is indicative of an early model engine except for the serial number itself. Are you sure you're not mistaking a scuff mark for a "1" in front of the serial number. A serial number of 70452 would be consistent with an early model block and everything else you're reporting.

If you do have an oil fill tube in front of the engine (over the flywheel housing), then your block is a late model that someone installed to replace a defective early model. Your serial number (with the "1") would be consistent with a late model block.

Best regards,

Don Moyer

Comment

Working...
      X