X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdemore
    • Nov 2016

C&C 30 Engine Mounting Questions

Putting the project boat together and have a question for anybody that knows how the engine mounts in a C&C 30. This picture shows what I found when I picked up the boat. There are a bunch of blocks of 2x4 and 4x4's which I assume are just blocks that the previous owner used to remove the engine. However, you can kind of see on the right side (under the shoe), there are a pair of angle iron pieces. Does anybody know if they are supposed to be used in mounting the engine, or are they just some more engine removal tools?

Any hints/tips/tricks to simplify aligning the engine and prop shaft?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve
    Attached Files
    Steve Demore
    S/V Doin' It Right
    Pasadena, MD
    sigpic
  • CalebD
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

I think you are on to something with those angle irons.
    See if the bolt holes can be lined up with what appear to be the engine mounts.
    I think the excess lumber, 4x4"s and such were just used for moving purposes.

I see 3 potential bolt holes through the bottom engine stringer and the rust pattern matches pretty closely.
    Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
    A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• cfergu22
      • Jul 2012

I have a 1974 C&C 30. Engine bed looks the same as yours. Mine has the angle iron pieces over the engine stringers. Then I have the fixed motor mounts attached through the angle iron then into the stringers. I think the angle iron gives a wider sturdier base.

I had to replace a motor mount due to rust (it was under the leaking water pump). I bought a new one from Moyer, They were an exact replacement of the existing ones but with thicker metal.

They're on the overhaul hardware page
      Product No. - OHSP_10_240

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

The 35 uses the same mounts. The angle irons are what you need. I got Moyer stainless mounts while I was at it
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• sdemore
          • Nov 2016

Thank you all for the comments, I would have been fighting to align everything without the angle iron bases. My angle iron strips have some surface rust, but are in overall good shape. I'll clean them up and give them a good coat of paint. The mounting brackets appear to be factory, but are in great shape with a coat of protective paint on them as well.

Barrier coat and bottom paint this weekend (rain permitting) and engine mounting next week. She's starting to come together.
          Steve Demore
          S/V Doin' It Right
          Pasadena, MD
          sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

If you need new pieces, I have had good experiences with onlinemetals.com and metalsdepot.com. Keep up the good progress sdemore!!
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X