Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailhog
    • Apr 2009

Yours is a sound approach. I need to have a completely reliable engine, as my wife, kids, their friends, our friends, etc. will be aboard. It has been a good engine until recently, but she will be again. All it takes is one shutdown at the moment of final approach at the dock and I'll never hear the end of it!

Just placed a mega-order with MMI....

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Systematic checks regardless.

Sailhog,

Guess what happened to me today. Went for a sail and freezing rain started...figured I take them down and motor in. Engine started to run poorly and had no get up and go. Sputtered a bit, lots of RPM out of gear...still easy to start. Sputtered home cold and wet.

Of course I am thinking fuel after my episode last summer. I pull the carb and clean it, made a new gasket....all was good with that; checked for water...none; changed filters anyway.

Then checked fire....fire to all 4. New plugs 3 weeks ago so I went checking points, and condensor....still running poorly. Finally I pull the plugs and number 3 and 4 are wet with gas....not working....started the boat with them perhaps 5 times. I threw a couple of old plugs in that I had in my junk box and she was back to her old self.....it just goes to show you that sometimes even the new stuff can throw us for a little loop.

Anyway, as soon as I saw those plugs today I thought of you.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

I've had brand new high $$ plugs go bad as well. $250 worth of cap rotor wires, etc..(car), still ran terrible. Limped home and $8 worth of Champions later, ran like a champ.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• sailhog
          • Apr 2009

I hate to say this, but it warms my heart to hear you guys having the same problems I'm having.... However, I'm glad you made it home, Mo!

I'm going to have this thing running just in time for storm season... Argh.

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

I know better.

I was a little P'd off with myself today because I know better. I assumed it could not be plugs because they were new. I started looking elsewhere first then finally came back to the problem which I should have sorted out in about 5 minutes.

I spent all day at the boat. Hail tapping on the deck, ceramic flower pot on the propane stove for heat. It was too chilly to even have a beer in peace while I worked on it. Then I had to row ashore (boat is tied up because the docks are not in yet) to...get this... I had to drive home and get on my computer to get a conversion from .025 inches into millimeters because my feeler gauge is in millimeters to check the points gap. Imagine my delight!

Anyway, she's running good now. I'll go grab another set of plugs tomorrow...GUARANTEED they won't be AC D----!
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• sailhog
              • Apr 2009

It's 79F with 10kt winds here.... and it's killing me.

We moved here from Hilton Head Island 1.5 years ago and decided to keep the boat dry docked last summer due to the Deepwater Horizon incident in the Gulf. Long story short, I had a leak in the coach roof winch and the stb. coach roof hand rail which allowed for water intrusion through the summer. Long story short, water got into the crank case via the flywheel. This accounts for the broken valve springs and all the problems that have had to be sorted out, one after another.

To make matters worse, the water here is unbelievably beautiful.

Mo, I hope that weather of yours clears up. But don't you all have another month or so of winter-ish conditions?

Comment

• Mo
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2007

Gulf Coast would be nice now for me. It's been a year since it all happened. I thought it would be worse for everyone there. Surely there has been hardship but I am amazed oil didn't foul everything in sight.

Actually, this time of year it is hit and miss around here. Last year the weather was beautiful and I gained 3 weeks extra and 3 extra in the fall. That is because of the trailer I built...allows me to go in and out at will.

This weekend is looking good, and although the Easter Bunny will come for the kids I imagine we can get a sail stuffed in there somewhere.

It hailed on me today, but by and large, we don't have harsh winters. While sailing today I did find it chilly but the little spat with the engine really P'd me off...especially when it really such an easy fix.

Weather is supposed to be better tomorrow so I'll try and get out again.
                Mo

"Odyssey"
                1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Will Jacocks
                  • May 2010

Mechanics note, "Always check the plug gaps, always!"

Comment

• rigspelt
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2008

Is the exhaust working well? No backpressure or water backflow problems?

Originally posted by sailhog View Post
                    ...I've gotta get more systematic in my thinking... like all of this is just beyond my grasp...
                    Now there's a familiar feeling! To beat it during the refit a couple of years ago I came up with this inital troubleshooter (for right after the deep breath which happens right after the engine hiccups):

If engine is not running properly, list all the changes that have been made since the last time it ran well, or all the components that have not had maintenance for some time. See if there is a troubleshooting list for the problem in Don Moyer's manual or notes, or here on MMI's forum. Then ponder the list before spending money or time.

1. Spark:
                    1a. Distributor: position, points/condensor or electronic ignition module.
                    1b. Coil.
                    1c. Plugs and plug wires.
                    1d. Wiring: wires, connections, switches, solenoids, wires, fuses.
                    1e. Charging: battery, alternator, cables, connections, fuses.

2. Fuel:
                    1a. Fuel condition.
                    1b. Tank: condition, pickup tube, vent.
                    1c. Fuel line: air or fuel leaks, hose or tube condition, connections, filters.
                    1d. Fuel pump.
                    1c. Carburetor.

3. Air:
                    3a. In: air vents, engine space air flow/volume, engine space air seal, spark arrester and carburetor.
                    3b. Out: manifold, exhaust dry stack, exhaust cooling water injection point, muffler, waterlift function, exhaust hose, transom exhaust tip.

4. Cooling (modify if not antifreeze cooled):
                    4a. Raw water: intake throughull, hoses and connections, filter, flow detector, water pump/impeller, drive belt, exhaust injection point.
                    4b. Antifreeze: antifreeze condition and amount, hoses and connections, water pump/impeller, pump drive, heat exchanger, thermostat, bypass valve if one installed, coolant passages in block/head/manifold, coolant drain plugs.

5. General:
                    5a. Bolts and nuts for tightness.
                    5c. Fluid leaks.
                    5d. Combustion chambers: valves, pistons, head, head gasket, studs.
                    5e. Oil: condition, amount, pressure, passages, pump, drain plugs, pressure adjust valve.
                    5f. Gauges.
                    5g. Procedures, such as overcranking with raw water throughull open or closed.
                    5h. Power train: crankshaft, bearings, transmission, propshaft coupling, propshaft, stuffing box, stern tube, cutless bearing, propellor.
                    1974 C&C 27

Comment

• sailhog
                      • Apr 2009

Rigspelt,
                      I wish I had your brain. That post belongs in the MMI manual.

New pump, gauges, and other parts arrive today.... Should have the engine running tomorrow. If I can figure out how to post a video, I'll do so.

Got some new paint on the head, so she at least looks nice!

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

sailhog, for videos, simply create yourself a youtube account if you don't already have one & upload it there. This forum software allows embedded youtube & there is a little button right in the box where I am typing my response.
                        -Shawn
                        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                        sigpic

Comment

• sailhog
                          • Apr 2009

Will do. Got her running today -- without any hesitations, without shutting down. She's a sewing machine. I've never see her run sooooooo smoothly....

I'm having cocktails tonight.

Thanks to everyone!
                          dw

Comment

• Mo
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jun 2007

Right on....good for you there Sailhog!!!
                            Mo

"Odyssey"
                            1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• sailhog
                              • Apr 2009

Thanks, Mo!

The ignition problem turned out to be a cracked distributor cap. I replaced it a couple of months ago, but as I was checking to see that it was on tight, a bolt section just fell off. Threw the old on one, and that's all it took...

Don't know if this is any interest to anyone other than Catalina 30 owners....

My chronic shutdown problem turned out to be due to inadequate fuel pressure from the Facet electric pump. In the past I've been told that these things either work or they don't work. Mine worked -- that is, it pumped fuel when hooked directly to 12V. However, with the low, far-off tank in the C-30, it couldn't get the juices flowing vigorously enough. So.... if you have a C-30, consistent shutdowns due to fuel delivery problems, and you've run the gamut AND you have an electric pump that appears to work.... well, it could be the pump after all....

Thanks again, folks! Can't wait to get super drunk tonight!
                              d

Comment

• Will Jacocks
                                • May 2010

That's why they sell a different pump just for Catalina 30's.

Comment

Working...
                                X