Threaded brass fittings at tank - tape them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mhinnc
    • Oct 2021

Threaded brass fittings at tank - tape them?

Should threaded brass fuel fittings be taped? 3 connections: tank to on/off valve, on/off valve to flared copper fuel line. Thanks for any/all help.
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

Personally I don't like using thread tape, even if gas rated in case the threads cut and little pieces may end up in flow (and yes I have filters ). I use Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket on the threaded portion of my hose barb fittings.
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

It is good advise to use the Permatex on the tapered pipe fittings in a fuel system. However do no use any on the flare fittings, no tape no sealant nothing, they are assembled dry and compression of the soft materials does the sealing.

Better yet get rid of the copper tubing altogether. You will see it no where on any modern fuel system. Change to CG approved tubing and clamped slip fittings. The copper can crack and that can be catastrophic.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• GregH
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2015

I'm so glad I switched the carb fittings over to flared. Simplifies removal so much for maintenance and do not have to cut the fuel line shorter and shorter each time
        Greg
        1975 Alberg 30
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X